Custom map_based loading screen

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
This maybe not really important to most of you. but for me as a mapper, i feel boring to see the official screens(those kind of ugly) again and again while testing my map.
So I really hope UT2K7 could have just a few more code lines to support map_based loading screen, just like you can fill in the map author in 2k4. It would be amazing if I can choose which picture to be shown while another player is loading my map:D
It would be even greater if this screen can be made by any type of materials, so that more dynamic loading effects could be implemented

sinikk

Balance in all things
Mar 11, 2006
Christchurch, New Zealand
UT2004 had the screenshot of the map used as the loading screen in the single player game. It also had the screenshots of the players and, in a team game, the stats (accuracy, agressivness, ect.) of the bots on each team.

In other words, this has already (well, some of it) been done two years ago. It shoulden't be hard to do in UT2007.

pilarius

Apr 14, 2005
rhirud said:
erm.... There will be no loading screens in UT2007.

You didnt saw last videos of UT2007 ? OF COURSE THERE WILL BE LOADING SCREENS ;) .
Map based loads as in some mods of UT2004 (Tactical Ops Crossfire...) will be cool.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
It's said that Loading Screens will hardly ever be seen. Once you enter a server or load a map the first time, the next ones will be background-loaded while playing... :rolleyes:

pilarius

Apr 14, 2005
G.Lecter said:
It's said that Loading Screens will hardly ever be seen. Once you enter a server or load a map the first time, the next ones will be background-loaded while playing... :rolleyes:

But when you enter for first do you want to see white screen or what ? Map based loading screens will be very nice ;) . I think that probably loading screens will be seen on singlecore computers...dualcore will rid them out because it has got faster backloading (ideal - 1st core loading map into memory, 2nd core with GPU - gameplay...when loading finished, 1st core will join and help to 2nd ;) .

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
G.Lecter said:

This can only be done to a certain extent and teh system won't be infallible. What if the match gets won before you finish loading the next one?
Loading screens will exist most assuredly, just hopefully not so much.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
I expect loading to be something like this:

13ol1.jpg

25xt.jpg

35bs.jpg

49lc.jpg

:B

Edit: Of course if there is a set maplist, the vote menu will be skipped and end-game chat will continue. ;)

Last edited:

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
you know, what would be cool? the chat should be eabld while loading, so ucan communicate then.... in UT2004, while downloading, you can type, but the other palyers don't see it.

the problem in you version, slainchild, is, that you need the double amount of system memory, because the "old" map is not taken from RAm xD

Last edited: