UE3 - UT3 Custom Characters for UT3 - Fantasy themed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ӏimbo

Aug 6, 2010
Hello!

I attempt do create a custom model for unreal tornament 3.
My goal is to create several characters/creatures like elves, dwarfs, orcs, werwolves and various monsters in a dark, gritty style with believable anatomy.

I had a mod\total conversion in mind where players find themselves thrown into a dark hostile world.
The lands are covered with an enchanted all live devouring forest, home of all sorts of evil.
A few strongholds represent struggleing bastions of humanity in this cursed forest. Their residents live in constant fear to be overwhelmed by the beasts lungering outside their battlements.
When adventurers want to travel from one bastion to another they have to find like-minded people to form a travel-group.
When a group of adventurer has gathered they lurch into the dark forest with strengthened trolleys and torches, armed to the teeth, praying for a jorney without incidents.
Most of them are never heard of again.
The travelers are branded by their harsh environment and their struggle for survival.
Tattoos tell of their eventful lives.

In order to keep an overview and keep motivated each model is stand-alone, like many smaller projects with one overall direction.
Until now i have just finished modeling the head of an female elv in 3dsMax9 and it was quite a pain to get it into the game.
I am struggleing with the texturing right now.
Probably i should look into normal maps too, but i don´t really know where to start and what the best method\program for creating normal maps would be.

Any tips, thoughts and critics would be much appreciated.
Maybe someone even feels like contributing to this project.

It would be probably best, if i made some character sketches first to nail down the direction.

Thank you for reading :D

Attachments

• elf.png
    elf.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 19
  • viewports_elf.PNG
    viewports_elf.PNG
    223.1 KB · Views: 9
  • render_elf.png
    render_elf.png
    437 KB · Views: 12
  • ut3_elf.jpg
    ut3_elf.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

ӏimbo

Aug 6, 2010
I worked on an old model i found on my harddrive.
It has a some confusing topology and probably needs some rework. I wonder how to improve the teeth? Make them separate? At the moment it is just one coherent mesh :eek:

Attachments

• viewports_ork.PNG
    viewports_ork.PNG
    308.9 KB · Views: 7
  • render_ork.png
    render_ork.png
    411.5 KB · Views: 7
  • ut3_ork.jpg
    ut3_ork.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 17

ӏimbo

Aug 6, 2010
Oh, thank you for your comment!
yes, i think there are plenty of possibilities with ut3s customizable characters. Hopefully i get some more done :D.
So far it is not going very well, i find it very painful to import the models into the game. Maybe i am doing it wrong :lol:?
I imported the elf-bodyparts today. They are far from finished (rework model, unwrap uvw, create texture, better rigging), more like a test.

Attachments

• ut3_elf_02.png
    ut3_elf_02.png
    698.2 KB · Views: 16
  • ut3_elf_02front.png
    ut3_elf_02front.png
    688.2 KB · Views: 8
  • ut3_elf_02side.png
    ut3_elf_02side.png
    656.8 KB · Views: 6
  • ut3_elf_02back.png
    ut3_elf_02back.png