UT2kX CTF-Rell_v2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Title: Rell Manufactuary Hall
Filename: CTF-Rell_v2
Version: 1.0

Alright, as silly as I feel for posting a UT2004 map now, I got off my haunches and finally finished this. Rell was going to be in the first Kranial Games pack, then the second, and now here it is, alone. It's somewhat of a gimmick map, two bases separated by a pressure chamber and a a couple longer routes above. I guess there's not much else to say, except I hope whoever still plays UT2004 maps enjoys this. :)

Screenshots:
[SCREENSHOT]http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8015/mainhallvj0.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9484/pressureroommm3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4392/redflagjf0.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Download: http://files.filefront.com/CTF+Rell+v2zip/;9493528;/fileinfo.html

Credits:
Hourences' most excellent HourKraden UT2004 texture pack is used almost exclusively to texture the map, without which it would be lacking.

The absolutely amazing soundtrack is zYnthetic's GreyMatter, made for the KG pack; I highly suggest playing with the music on at least once.

The lift mesh in the base is by BobTheBeheader, and it rocks. Thanks to you, good sir.

Without Nereid's extensive testing, this map would not be. Thanks you from the bottom of my heart.

Blitz's Pressure volume was used here because I couldn't get the UT2004 volume to work how I wanted it to for the life of me.

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
So I just played a game. Killed the bots halfway though, so I can't really say too much about the flow and AI.
I'd still like to see how the bots will use (or avoid) the pressure volume though

Now I assume that this is final so I won't complain as much (also I don't want to sound like a member from the epic boards). But I have to say that the doors to the central room are a bitch :p A few times I walked through it and suddenly noticed someone walking into my flagroom, when *BAM*: Please take the detour :p
Speaking of the doors: set Staticlighting to True for better lighting. Right now they're overlit by the sunlight.

The performance was allright but I expected better.
Things would especially slow down in the flagrooms, where pretty much half of the map is rendered (even the other team's flagroom). Assigning antiportals to the doors would help a ton.

Overall the map has a very consistent theme/look.
Well, except those shiny grey pipes, they really look out of place. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though.
I also wondered what that armorbase on the ceiling in the pressure chamber was for.
I'm guessing it's purely decorative but it left me confuzzled :p

Anyhoo, the game was short but sweet. You get a heap of minus points for your zoneportals ;(
I'm not quite sure why you put your name on there since almost no-one will be seeing it anyway ;P

But, yeah, keep up the good work!
And preferably for 2K4! :p

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Arghhh, I wish I'd found you before I released! My maps repel beta-testers like cattle prods do rioters. But still, it makes my day that you commented! :D

I'm afraid that the AI probably won't be especially great. AI has always been my weakest point, and I have no idea how to get the bots to intelligently use the pressure chamber. In an attempt to keep it interesting, I set the AssaultPaths to have a higher priority there, but that's about it.

You're also right about my brushwork; I completely rebuilt the map twice becuase the BSP cuts were just so bad.

The armour base on the roof of the grated glass is indeed decorative; to me, it looked funny to have the armour plating on one side but not the other.

The zone-portals were a last-second bit of ego inflation I'm afraid; I was just so delighted to finally be done that I wound up putting a photoshoppery thing in there instead of the wm_textures zoneportal thing I'd been using. ;#

I have a few more maps that are just half-done things for UT2004, but not sure if I'll ever finish them. I have a version of Morpheus in a pretty decent beta for UT3, but that game just doesn't grab me. I might not map for it. Still, thanks you much for the critique! I wish I could hug you.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Nothing wrong with releasing a map for a game with three times (or more) the players. D:

Kewl map. The bots did lock me in the pressure chamber once and some of the other bots a couple times. They would have gotten me twice but I managed to escape being pressurized somehow by being next to an exit door when it shut.

Also, I'm always up for beta tests. Just have to ask. :)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL