CTF Fairplay question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

boldarbloodpi8

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site
At the expense of sounding like a complete newbie...

I play assault almost full time, I dabble in IG DM but thats about it. But my clan has started a CTF division, and I have never really played CTF. So yesterday I play CTF-Coret for my first match (mind you this is only the 3rd time I have ever played this map, the other 2 were in a LAN party long time ago). I notice that the attackers are coming from that upper pasage by the armour to grab our flag. So I hung out there with a shock rifle and shocked them every time they came around the corner (or when they did a flag run I was in a good spot to stop them from going top route). I got called a few choice names, including camper by the other team. So what is considered fair play and ettitquette for match's in CTF?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
That's not called camping, but defending. An attacker could sneak in on the lower entrance and kill you from the side or behind if the upper floor is covered by you.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I've not been around PuF a whole lot the last couple months, but unless the philosophy has changed:

Just about everything short of cheating, spawn sniping/camping, and teamkilling is OK. If that team kept taking the same route, it is only logical that you would begin to defend it more. If they are dumb enough to keep using it, that's their problem. Camping, sniping are valid tactics in CTF, although they can be annoying at times. The other team was probably just whining because you ruined their plan and they weren't good enough to do anything else. You did the right thing, they were the ones being llamas, not you.

boldarbloodpi8

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site
thanks,

alright :) Thanks! I was hoping I wasn't doing anything wrong. I was having a lot of fun playing CTF but felt like a goof running around not knowing what to do.. ;)

Alcoholic9

Drunk
Jan 17, 2000
Boston,MA
Visit site
A few days ago I was playing Jailbreak and got called a camper for hanging around the switch and releasing my team. Just yesterday I got called a camper for standing next to the flag in face with a shock rifle. Where do these people come from? Doom? Anybody who want's to whine about camping has no business playing anything besides deathmatch and last man standing.

(Swe)Asus

Jan 13, 2001
Visit site
Of course you have to defend your own flag.I don't see anything wrong about that.But i don't like hanging around my own flag,i allways attack :) But it can be frustrating when you run all the way to the enemybase and get killed by the same guy over and over again.But sooner or later you will get the damn flag and when you do it's all worth the effort ;)

boldarbloodpi8

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site

I just thought of it as the last line of defense in Assault. I am so used to defending a point anyway. So once I found my flag I humped it for glory... ;)

Ok another one. We also played CTF-Hydro is it. The other team took exception to my defense there. I would translocate to various position's and feign death. And when they would go for my flag I would rise up and try to kill them. Is this bad form?

Thanks again for the newbie question!

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I've never heard of anyone complaining abour people using feign death. While I wouldn't think it would be very effective, there is a defense... which a lot of people use anyway - if you see a dead body, shoot it or blow it up. But hey, if it works feel free.

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with feigning death. It's usually not a good tatic since most experienced players will try to gib any bodies they see lying around, but if they were dumb enough to fall for that then .... LAF..

boldarbloodpi8

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site

Same thing in Assault, if it isn't Gibs it soon shall be. But they fell for it the entire game. I also feigned up in some higher locations though, like up on box's and stuff. But I was drinking a bit of beer and I was laughing.. :)

LittleFlower

Jun 14, 2000
NL
www.fce2.de
I guess you can never call a good defender in CTF a camper. However, there are a few things that can ruin a good FFA CTF game.

1) Majorities of players in both teams defending. Especially in defensive maps, like Coret and November, capping can be hard. So often you will see 6 players per team defending, and only 2 players per team attacking. Very, very frustrating for those poor attackers that try to keep the game interesting.
2) The best players in each team defending. I guess just to try and get as many cheap flagkills and rack up points. If I wanna attack, and the other team has 1 or 2 great defenders, the game can be no fun at all. Sometimes teams are not well balanced, so it is an unfair game to start with. Sometimes my team has good players too, but they only defend. That is even worse, as I can't even complain myself then.
3) Defenders spamming.
Of course all you loosers start complaining now about Flak spamming. Yep, flak can be pretty annoying. But you can also spam with rox or combos. Example: the upper walkway in Coret: you can keep doing blind combos constantly, and hope some fool will run into them. Pretty effective, cool in clanmatches, but it can ruin the fun on FFA. Same goes for shooting rox blindly at corners and doors. You can get many frags that way, the elite players do it constantly in clanmatches (and FFA). But it can ruin the fun in FFA.

So my point is: when you play on FFA, try to make the games fun and interesting. Not only for yourself, but also for your mates, and *even* for the enemies. Some strategies might be very effective, but once you have proven that, and your team is leading, try something else for a change .....

hobart_paving

May 30, 2000
Visit site
there is no such thing as camping in ctf because the flag is stationary. should i run laps around my flag when defending so i'm not "camping"?

i also take exception to cries of "spammer". so if i want to unload all my ammo in 5 seconds, why should you be pissed? back out and came back when all i have left is an enforcer. people using the flak cannon is a part of the game. deal with it. this means you, chim. :D

piston camping is lame. but it only happens on face.

and rocket launching is also lame, imo, but since you came to ctf from assault, i'm sure you have a different opinion. :)

Aug 7, 2000
Camping in CTF cause you were constantly blowing them apart with the shockcombo?

You'll notice this a lot in CTF, they actually don't mind, till they start losing.....
It's not about their sense of fairplay, it's about that a lot of people can't stand losing....

Just some statistics:
-This mostly happens in CTF (believe me, I played ALL the gametypes)
-It's usually a wannabee 1337 shockho who's flaming

P.S. Good luck with your CTF carreer, of everything I played, I liked the CTF gametype most....

-Revenant

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
heh. wanna know somethign bad? if you sit behind the monolith (big ass thing inside the base) and aim at the flag with the rifle n00bs just run and get the flag, 5 points, one right behind them gets the flag and loosk around and doesn't see you till "headshot" and another 5 for you, and you replace the flag

And then you get "Nice bot" from the n00bs.

boldarbloodpi8

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site

They were pretty mad apparently when my clan mate went to there IRC channel. Said that Boldarblood guy was camping. :) I felt it was a compliment as they eventually stopped coming through that upper passage.

Assault is definitely still my thing, I love the fast paced team action. I always disliked CTF but we were short a man last night for our CTF division so I gave it a shot. I actually had a heck of a lot of fun. So I may have to play more and give it another chance. But if I am going to do it, I believe in getting hurt. So I added Roosters and Swineonline (what other servers can be recommended). (can't get better unless you play with those of superior skills). I guess the biggest thing is I should learn the maps and weapon placement.

Dormouse

Jan 9, 2001
www.geocities.com
oh yeahh

We also got accused for using a 'speed hack' when all our flag carrier was doing was dodge (strafe) running and hammer jumping backwards.

Assault ppl = takes advantage of UT's physics

Speed bots ownz j00