Cool Map Ideas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Skaxis

Oct 25, 2003
Everett, WA
Visit site
If anyone has seen Aliens vs Predator the movie, they will get the jist of what I am trying to describe :).

How about a temple perhaps not too diff from Omni's Temple, that has hack panels which.....

.....which...

lol... this is the cool part....

Re-configure the WHOLE BLOOMIN map strategically by moving whole walls, closing hallways by pinching the floor AND ceiling together and thereby changing the "strategy requirements" of the map. Anyone caught in a clampin'-shut hallway could be squished and a texture of a flattened player (all 3 classes can have like 4 or 5 squished images lol - randomly - or appropriately selected for depending on last pose of character, color and class) that remain on walls & floors where they were smashed hahaha...

Just a few things changing would be cool... there could be a central room with 2 primary entrances. the central room could be made to rotate 90 degrees like those weird old bridges that spun around to let tall boats go thru (as well as prevent traffic from being able to use the bridge)... when swung 90 degrees the primary entrances connect to completely different corridors etc not accessible when map is in alternate configuration.

Perhaps floor plans like a maze, which will re-configure the maze by moving different "wall modules" up while moving others down to re-configure the maze, such that 1 map could be any number of maps in one. modular wall pieces could be square columns which raise or lower.

The idea being that you can't just assume you know the way to either base from wherever you are at a given moment, because what may have been a room is now a hallway...

Go watch Aliens vs Predator... and see how the temple they are battling in re-configures itself... THAT is what I am talking about lol..

A cool "given" for such a map is that when the panel that changed the map gets activated, the only way to change it back is to find another hack panel in a completely different location. That way no 1 place is always strategically best.

OOOOooo OO oOOOOO.... and and and... .how about "movers" that do cool damage... like... (in the old movies or cartoons lol)... a giant swinging axe-blade lol... which can be made to stop or start by hacking something. haha... and trigger stones in the floor that cause arrows to shoot out of the wall or large plungers to shoot out of the wall and smash the guy against the adjacent wall leaving that flattened gory image stuck to the wall.... Well.. it would be ok if the image didn't any longer resemble an actual player and was just a mess of appropriate colored armor and guts :p

I'm talkin FREAKED out Temple action mangs!!! hahaha....

Now... if only I knew the first thing about editing maps :-( I would definately do this myself just to see that it gets done.

Mar 6, 2004
Anyone seen the cube movies? how about a map like that :D everyone going crazy thinking they beat the cube when they appear in another cube then tk a teammate in frusteration ;) .

NRK

Nercury
Apr 20, 2004
Lithuania
Such map would require separate server.

And... things are simple... basically people go to play some xmp, not complicated maze which would leave them frustrated without any fun.

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
I did a concept map for something like that a long while ago. Basically the map was made of floor tiles, some up and some down to form walls etc. Randomly the movers would switch to form a different layout. The idea was very alpha-ish, so I left it at that and never did any more.

The problem with such a thing is:

A.) Server//Client side calculations, basically the lag will **** all the movers up to an unbearable level (bad collision, "bouncing,")
B.) Increase lag
C.) Add unforeseeable bugs to the level (i.e. skybox not working, etc.)
D.) You can only have 2 configurations due to how crappy movers are (whereas Half Life moving brushes for instance have a LOT more versatility)

Totally not worth it.

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
It can easily be made not to be a maze, but still be interesting. Doesn't have to be the "complicated maze" you speak of; there are several uses for such ideas. That's not the point though.

Lets just say that the Unreal 2 engine cannot handle such an extensive program of shifting gear, etc. The U2 netcode is even less stable and will most definitely not be able to handle a large amount of dynamic objects as suggested. In short, you can't pull this off even with the best mapper on Earth; you'll need an entire team of expert coders working to make it all possible; and most likely, that team of coders will need a set of $300,000 (US) Unreal engine licenses so that they can actually get into the native code.

In other words, it's not worth the trouble.

Oakwind

May 18, 2004
It's being worked on. :lol:

Can you hear me now? (phone commercial)

Edited to souud less like an ass

Last edited:

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
That doesn't answer my question. I meant "What?" as in "What is being worked on?" I think it's pretty self evident what I was asking.

PS:
And no, I can't hear you. I can read your text, but not hear you. :p

Last edited: