Constructive Running Speed Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Personally, I use sprint a fair bit, but never in combat (unless its one of those, "omg, im out of ammo and im about to die!" moments:))

Don't suppose anyone could make a mute to take out strafe during sprint? I dont know a lot about the UT engine but I would imagine it would be a simple thing to do?

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
The best fix i can think of for sprinting : You can only go forward, you can't turn (or can turn real slowly) and of couse you can't shoot (gun automatically hipped). Think of it as an after burner : you go fast but only forward, and the only way to turn is to stop sprinting. That way speed would no longer be an issue.

Yeah, it would have it's own button, no longer be a toggle.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Yeah Monk ;).

I truly believe that with speed toned down and dodging and straffing less of an issue, real teamplay could start. Of course with slower speed, we would need more usable cover and more alternate route to flank the enemy. It should be as hard as possible for an idividual to hold himself against a group working in team to keep him busy and flank him...

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
Personally, I liked the suggestion to have the weapon drop to the hip when sprinting. This should bring things a little closer to realism than they are now. Have you ever tried running at full speed (aka-sprinting) with a weapon at the "ready" position? It doesn't happen nor should it. If anything, while sprinting, you should only be able to fire from the hip and it should be even more inaccurate than it is now.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
If they can only sprint forward and can hardly turn, i doubt they could even line up a target during a sprint. Shooting should be disabled, or as soon you pull a shot you are back to jogging speed... I think it's the most realistic way to implement this...

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
my suggestion! not that anyone listens

you have 3 choices

a. Slow down the running speed drastically. (which in turn could cause people to be too scared to go anywhere.)

b. slow down sprinting slightly and bring weapon to "hip" status while sprinting. (this seems most realistic to me, because: its about impossible to full on sprint without tossing your arms back and forth and to think you could hold a gun on your shoulder while sprinting as fast as u can is ludicrous.)

c. leave it the way it is and bring the gun down to the hip to sprint. (self explanitory)

Those are very good ideas if you ask me but hey who's askin.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
ohh another option have your stamina bar, and a seperate sprint bar.. the sprint bar runs out much quicker and is much faster at coming back than the normal stam bar. depending on which run u select it cuts from the appropriate bar. That way 2 good sprint bursts and your spent from sprinting for at least a min.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
well at the rate you regenerate stamina that can allready be achieved by increasing stamina drain.

Also strafing in any case should increase stamina drain. Try strafing left and right as fast as possible and see how tired you get.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
the fact is we can turn in real life but your player basically strafes... slow the strafing down if you want.. you would certainly fall at the speed of full sprint.

Ohh and Fur no you can achieve that now by increasing the drain... you need to be able to regain it half as fast as u loose it. The drain I speak of would be very fast, like 5 seconds per sprint, 5 seconds is a long time and a 10 second regain before you can do it again. Based on the fact that some rounds go in as much as a minute clearing corners and making your way through the map you wont be able to run very much.

The drain now is slow yes, but the regain is just as slow. you need some sort of regular stamina bar to keep up with your jumping and jog... Its unfortunate u cant climb because something I could climb on with no problem can run you completely out of stamina... true dissapointment.

I like your suggestion #2, Gnat. "b. slow down sprinting slightly and bring weapon to "hip" status while sprinting. (this seems most realistic to me, because: its about impossible to full on sprint without tossing your arms back and forth and to think you could hold a gun on your shoulder while sprinting as fast as u can is ludicrous.)"

I hope, hope, hope the full sprint speed is decreased to realistic levels. Here is a comment I made quite a long time ago on another thread, it bears repeating here, particularly with 2.87 nearing completion: "Warp-speed running. The other night I was leaning from behind the box at the tunnel side of the big bridge on the Chasm map, had my M16 on semiauto. Enemy soldier comes out from behind a box at the FAR END of the bridge, runs toward me. I squeezed off 3 rounds, unfortunately missing with one or two, only winging him, and before I could get another round fired, he was literally on top of me, firing his automatic weapon point blank. I lost that fight. That bridge must be about 50 yards long, and he covered the distance in about 3 seconds. Many other instances, such as throwing a grenade at someone who is 50 or more yards away, and having him get to me so quickly he not only outruns the grenade blast, but kills me at point blank before I can even get my weapon back in my hands. That's just too darned fast. You should not be helpless against an enemy 50 yards away just because you have a grenade in your hand and he can beat the change-back-to-weapon animation by sprinting right at you. (If I've estimated the times and distances incorrectly, it's probably out of frustration...the problem remains the same.)

One more problem I hope is fixed in 2.87: The hold-to-run button still sticks. I do NOT have it set to toggle, yet I usually find that I'm continuing to run after I take my finger off that button. I have to hit the button again a couple of times, or hit the crouch button, in order to stop running. That takes a lot of concentration away from the fight. I want to be NOT running, --ever--, when my finger is not pressing the run button. Am I correct that this is still messed up, or am I doing something wrong?