Constructive Running Speed Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
OK my two penn'th worth.

Sprinting needs to be slower AND take a lot more from your stamina. Not only should the weapon be hip'd when sprinting but you can't fire it at all. Have you ever tried to sprint while holding a rifle with two hands, or even just a pistol out in front of you. It doesn't happen.

The heavy breathing needs increasing a bit and coupled with this the TIME you can control your breathing needs to be reduced with your stamina. Worst case would be No stamina, so your breathing like a steam train and you can't control your breathing.

Something also needs to be done to stop the jumping around like a monkey with herpes as well.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
The sprinting speed is insane.
zigzagging is a meathod for escaping snipers, not a cqb tactic.
IRL, running in plain view of a firing gun gets you the death penalty almost instantly.

in here, guys have been charging firing squads, and winning.
case in point:
tonight on the cuba map. me and two players were kneeling in an exit tunnel trying to break out.
we see a guy approach. we all opened fire about the same time.(two sigs and an m-16 best I can recall)
a split second later, we're all dead and hes blasting down the hallway.

a few games later on another server, azteca lite:
I saw a guy approaching me unaware I was sniping from about 100m or so uphill.
prone, I opened fire with an acoged sig in semi mode. he charges
a moment later hes literaly on top of me, takes out my spotter and caps me with a handgun.

I dont mind when players take the extreme risk of knowingly exposing themselves to weapons fire. war often requires a bit of audacity.
but this situation has happened to me on so many maps over so many game nights, its apparent that by running down the breach of attacking players they risk nothing.

ideally there should be more shooting and less death per clip of ammo, and all the nuances of running affecting aim should be built in eventualy.
but Im to the point where the "'I dont care how, just fix it'" attitude suits me just fine.
the sooner its fixed the better.

Loika

yup yup

(see bottom for the point=)
i agree with most of the posts on here i would like to add that i think the idea for a diff stam bar for sprint is one way for a game to handle 3 dif movement speeds but this is a realism mod and its best to link everything related to stam to breathing through 1 bar or in other words 1 #

dont know about the rest of you crazys but i cant run at full sprint get tired fast then go to a great jog... the math all needs to be in one stam unit or its more of a F-16 than a human.

i think the forward sprint with limited turning speed is very real because if you really are running as fast as you can your not gonna be bobben'n weaven. i think they have the affect of your aim by sprint down right nice in the hip hold. i dislike the ability to sholder your wep in full sprint cuz you cant in RL(if you want to keep that fast as you can run up)

in short
1. do not make a second stam stat(do you have 2 stam modes?)

2. great dare i say perfect ideas on force wep to hip on sprint and forward only-hard-to-turn effects.

3. even greator thoughts i read on havig actions that kick you out of sprint right away like if you try to sholder your wep BAM you slow to a stop(or walk) and the wep comes up just like real =)

My team got badly beaten this week in ILCR. Map : Gallery.

The other team had just a couple of snipers, everyone else had an AK-47/drum loadout and sprinted down the hallways with their AKs on continuous - and very accurate - fire. We couldn't even lean out from the boxes to take down the sprinters, their continuous (and endless, thanks to the drum) fire made that impossible, then they were on top of us in moments, easily finishing us off (return fire very difficult in Inf when you are taking hits). We still had fun (I always have fun playing Inf), but the tactic was totally unrealistic, yet totally effective.

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
Nades will do you not good if your opponent can friggin' cover 100 yards in 3 seconds. This is why I am of the opinion that if a tactic won't work IRL, it shouldn't work in INF. Getting those issues balanced out is what the INF team needs to work on.

'Nuff said.

{LOD}WolfBear

Cannon Fodder
May 2, 2001
Texas
Visit site
OK I agree that sprint currently is a little fast, but I also like that fact that ya cant stop it on a dime for the sake or realism (talk about having to throw on the brakes at a ledge sheesh) I thought sprint lasted to long as well, then I started trying to figure the distances. A well trained and in shape milspec GI should be able to sprint 100 yards without a heck of alot of problems, he should be able to fire from the hip with large weapons (IE AK with a drum) or arms extended with a pistol (dont take much to hold it up there and fire blind) However it is not and should not be accurate. When I started testing this a few ago I realized on a LARGE map I can sprint a hundred to a couple hundred before stamina give COMPLETELY out (not TOO unrealistic) then I realized that one thing we missed was adrenaline. Running that far for you life it is possible once you get cover to return fire (not as accurately obviously) and rest at the same time. Called fight and flight or something another by the military.

Anyway the point is I think it is a decent system as is, and keeps the game SORTA playable, maybe more weapon bounch, dropping full sized weapons to the hip, make it a little slower etc would help. But rushing is a valid tactic, and since ya CANT stop (tried it on a bot and got shot in the back after running over him :D ) I think it works PRETTY well as is.

And ask any deer hunter how hard is it to hit a full tilt boogy target. . .

My 2 cents

{LOD}WolfBear[RM]

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
I don't think the gripe is with the fact its HARD to hit a fast moving crossing target, because it is. The gripe is the fact the same moving target can hit you very easily while moving, and IRL that doesn't happen.

Rushing is valid in the Military only from short distances and with proper preperation and support. You don't try and rush from 100m away straight into the enemy position. You'd die real fast that way. Rushing is done from 10m to 20m at most, and a lot of firepower goes onto the position before the rush starts. The Gun Team also gives fire support and will 'shoot' the rushing assualt team onto the target, leading the team by a couple of metres.

Shooting on the move, ie while running, is only used to make an enemy duck back and keep his head down. You don't expect to hit anyone with the shot, and you'd be really unlucky to be hit by someone doing that to you.

Last edited: