Computer Problems/Upgrades/Info

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Got Bored

Was doing some wishful shopping at Newegg. What do you all think of this system.
Note: Not all parts are top of the line but are practical to some degree.

Case:
Thermaltake Armor Revo VO200M1W2N Black SECC ATX Full Tower

Motherboard:
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)

Ram:
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Graphics Card:
EVGA SuperClocked+ 02G-P4-2684-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

SSD and Hard Drive:
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

CPU Cooler:
XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler with Stealth Aerospace Industry Thermal conductive ceramic coating ...

Blue Ray, 200MM Fan, Artic Silver 5 round out the build.

Grand Total:* $2,166.88 Before Warranties and Shiiping. :eek:

I really Like the Motherboard and CPU..... ;)

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
So, yeah, when I built my new computer 1.5 years ago, I left 60GB for my windows partition. I now have 3.5GB empty on the drive. WHERE THE HELL DID ALL THAT SPACE GO?! Ideas, anyone?

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Pictures and videos most likely. Unless you specifically specify somewhere else, they are stored on C:

You can run disk cleanup to get rid of some stuff (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools).

Other than that, you'll have to uninstall some programs. I'm kind of in the same boat as I have a 60 GB SSD for my C Drive. However, I make absolutely sure to install EVERYTHING on a different partition, and I believe I still have around 28 GB free.

Last recommendation would be to do a backup and start fresh (with a bigger C partition). It's a good practice every once in a while anyway, keeps things organized.

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
I haven't checked yet, but is there some way to choose which drive your personal folder and subfolders (ie, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc.) are on, so that when Windows automatically stores documents to those respective folders it won't be an issue? That is to say, if I were to create a folder D:\Avri, Windows would store files there, instead of C:\Users\Avri? I know I do have a large amount of pictures and some videos, but not THAT much. The only other thing I can think of is I know that some software that I've installed didn't even let me choose where to install it, but again, they don't take up an incredible amount of space.

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Normally a setting like that needs to be in place at installation of the OS. However, it is possible to move these directories elsewhere. I don't recommend moving more than you have to, for example, only move Pictures, Videos and Music. Moving the ENTIRE user directory to another drive will impact system stability.

When you click on Start > %Username% It will bring up a window that has Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, My Documents etc.

When you right-click on any of these and go Properties. Click on the Location tab. That window provides you with the option to "move" the directory. When really all this is to begin with is a shortcut, all of these are stored in C:\Users\%Username%

You can move any of those folders to D:\Avri or whatever you wish. I'd wager it will free up a few GB's.

I still stand by the recommendation to start fresh - and clean the dust out of the fans while you're at it! :p

Last edited:

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
Normally a setting like that needs to be in place at installation of the OS. However, it is possible to move these directories elsewhere. I don't recommend moving more than you have to, for example, only move Pictures, Videos and Music. Moving the ENTIRE user directory to another drive will impact system stability.

When you click on Start > %Username% It will bring up a window that has Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, My Documents etc.

When you right-click on any of these and go Properties. Click on the Location tab. That window provides you with the option to "move" the directory. When really all this is to begin with is a shortcut, all of these are stored in C:\Users\%Username%

You can move any of those folders to D:\Avri or whatever you wish. I'd wager it will free up a few GB's.

I still stand by the recommendation to start fresh - and clean the dust out of the fans while you're at it! :p
Grassy-ass!

Morty

The getting killed man!!
Feb 22, 2005
Ohio...that suck ass STATE.
Well the gaming PC will not be coming back. Power supply is TOAST and it might have taken out the motherboard. However, I might have a PC that could be used. Just trying to find out how much it will be and I think I can swing it. So hopefully I can be back online instead of using my work PC. I hope all is good with you guys.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Dead Hard Drive! Linda's Hard Drive apparently died last night. Seagate Barracuda 500GB just didn't work no more. I pulled it and checked it in my External SATA BlacX and no luck. Her PC was not reporting a bootable disk. Anyway, my stuff was backed up but apparently some of her stuff wasn't. I had a spare new HD, so all today have been reinstalling apps. Almost done now. Guess that's the hard way to clean up the crap! :lol:

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Well, as a last resort you can try a couple things.

First try sticking it in the freezer for a good while. Then see if it is recognized. If still not, smack it into the floor a couple times :lol: This actually works sometimes. At least long enough to get some important info off if necessary.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
OMG, Linda just ordered me an Early Birthday Present.

Check out this sweet Upgrade!

Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache
Antec 80Plus Platinum PSU ATX 1000 Power Supply HCP-1000 PLATINUM
Asus Sabertooth Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard
SanDisk Extreme II 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gbs 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDXP-240G-G25
Thermaltake NiC C5 (CLP0608) 120mm Untouchable CPU Cooler
Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition CO-9050004-WW 120mm Twin Pack High Airflow Case Fan

I plan on swapping Cases since the cooler might not fit in the TAZTG Case with the Side Panel Fans. Both PC's will eventually be Upgraded. That's all the parts I need to build to high end Gamer PC's.

Psst: When do you think I should tell Linda? :eek:

Probably won't swap these until after TAZLAN but I might try to change the Mobo and CPU, I know they recommend a nice clean install when changing Mobo but I read that Windows 7 had no issues swapping. Won't hurt to give it a shot!

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Yea, didn't want to do any major rebuilding til after TAZLAN. Rig is running fine, just got that damn itch.. Now its all better.. BC, couldn't you easily get another HD and copy the important stuff over. Then you wouldn't have issues finding dat files are corruption issues?

Iceburgs

The Iceman Cometh....
Jul 22, 2002
Baltimore County, MD
Well, it looks like I need to get a new mouse. I'm going to reinstall drivers and firmware first, but I'm pretty sure the left-click is borked. Seems it's a common issue with Razer mice, as they use cheap parts. Basically, one click almost always registers as a double-click. Anyway, I'd love to hear some recommendations for a preferably sub-$50 mouse. The only real qualification for me is that I like it to be symmetrical in shape and button layout. Thanks, guys!

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I have a Brand New Razer TaiPai you can have. I tried it but didn't like it to much. Prefer my G5 Series Logitec. Merry Christamas Avri! Bring your butt over tomorrow to pick it up.

Razer_Taipan_2.jpg