1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Computer Games Online Interviews Mark Rein

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Dark Pulse, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Computer Games Online has posted an interview with Epic Games Vice President Mark Rein. In it, they talk about what Epic will show at GDC this year, Future PCs and Consoles, and how many games they are working on:
    Computer Games - About how many upcoming games are currently slated to use a version of Epic's Unreal engine?

Mark Rein - We're making two Unreal Engine 3-based games ourselves right now and I can only comment for the games Epic creates.
    Hmm, Two Unreal Engine games... Gears of War is almost certainly one of them, but what's the other? It can't be Pariah since Digital Extremes is making it... oh well, time will tell! Anyway, you can read the full interview here.

2. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/future/future.php#ut2007
    Someone else (Tim? Steve?) was quoted as saying that they were working on an Unreal Engine 3 game in the Unreal series but it wasn't Unreal and that we should "do the math". :)

Guess we'll have to wait and see!

3. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Pariah is also not UE3.

/me hopes for any Unreal universe game

4. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

UTEvolution

I'm hoping for it to be Unreal Tournament 3. I'm fairly sure that it won't be a UT200x name, because thay whole idea pretty much went down in flames.

I'm also pretty sure it'll be another gameplay revolution in the UT -> UT2/2.5 style rather than an evolution of the current gameplay due to the new engine. Not sure if that would be a good idea, especially as the last gameplay revolution had a mixed reception. But as long as it's handled well, and any features that are included are actually worth it (ie. no more adrenaline etc.) then it should be ok. Although, I'm still not sure I trust Epic's willingness to listen to the community when it comes to gameplay though.

5. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

ONS with Melée combat around nodes? hmm. :p

6. FluXs

FluXs old skool

UT3

I see in modes like ONS/Assualt/CTF for the use of vehicles (or a new one) - real dropships for porting men and other new types of vehicles. or more cool looking ones.

Maybe such things as a space ship which the whole team has to move around inside, manning weapons and stearing would be cool - you would be in combat against another ship controlled by the other team, or it could be an assualt level. where one team needs to co-ordinate inside to control the ship to attack

In UE3, i can see gametypes for vehicles using lot bigger maps and thus much cooler vehicles than the ones in UT04

CTF maps could take place over much longer distances.

The big thing I HOPE for, is the look of the game will look a lot better (no more chunky, unsized, vehicles.meshes etc) Based on the screenshots so far. It should look awesome to see vehicles in combat etc.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  7. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

Is it me or is Rein getting more laconic these days?

8. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I dunno... how would you expect him to answer that question? :lol:

Let me simplify the question:

Can you compete with the DooM3 and Source engine?

9. Captain Kewl

Captain Kewl I know kewl.

Epic should compete with people who aren't the competition.

10. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

How about with a bit of how Epic will be competing, and what the UE3 will have to give an edge over those engines, like the handful of new features they announced about a month ago?

11. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

Or at least a little shot of "Half-Life sucks". Come on Rein, represent!

I expect the next UT game to have Raiden, Tachibana Ukyo, Jin Kazama, Bison and Sabrewulf as playable characters. ;)

... and naked Bloodrayne.

:edit: BTW, by my calculations, this was post #6000. Blew right by me. :shy:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  12. AMmayhem

AMmayhem Mayhem is everywhere

I just hope it comes with a great SP part. Like Unreal 1 scale. :)

13. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

I highly doubt it will if it's a Tournament title.

14. Yoshiro

Yoshiro New Member

Well remember UE 3 can support 64 player action by default without any engine changes. So we might expect larger Unreal action.

15. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

UnrealPlanetside? :eek:

16. FluXs

FluXs old skool

how about.... UnrealWarfare *gasp* lol

17. Yoshiro

Yoshiro New Member

Unreal Warfare was UT2k4 (Onslaught) incase you don't read the new Epic forums :)