compiling problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt_Tripps

Nov 26, 1999
www.minot.com
I've been working with my modeling program and have sucessfully imported dxf models into UT, and wanted to try to import one of the models as an object rather than a brush. I exported the model from my prog as a *.3ds file and ran 3ds2urn and it sucessfully created the models ans classes folders with the associated files.
I've tried various approaches and have yet to sucessfully import the model to view in UnrealEd. After moving the files to the system directory and putting the models and pcx textures in subdirectories I loaded the script and compiled it from within UnrealEd. It created a *.u file, butthe model was not there(could not view it from within the mesh viewer). I also tried compiling it with "ucc make" but that did not do anything with my script (not sure if I edited the Unreal.ini file properly).
I really would appreciate any help that could be steered my way. I just want be able to sucessfully import the mesh. Thanks.

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
I haven't had the pleasure of even getting my models into the proper format yet but check out Models.htm on the Unreal Technology page (http:/unreal.epicgames.com)for specific instructions on using 3ds2unr.

As a side note, maybe it isn't showing up in the viewer because you forgot to assign a texture or something? Can you place the object the mesh is assigned to into a map(as a green wireframe)?

[This message has been edited by Githianki (edited 12-01-1999).]

Capt_Tripps

Nov 26, 1999
www.minot.com
when I did get the *.u file and ran a map with it I didn't get anything (no mesh), however the map would not load without the *.u file (deleted it to try over). It did load when I restored the *.u file from the recycle bin.
I'll check out that link and see what I can find. Thanks.

Phenom

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
hmmm seems like you did everything right Capt. The one thing that should have changed is when you ran ucc make. It should have changed the .u or created one in your Unreal/System dir. OK i think i see where you might have gone wrong. (hopefully)
1)Make sure your dir are set up like this. Unreal/Mymod. In Mymod you should have a models dir and a classes dir. Keep the files in that dir and dont move them to Unreal/System. Then add in your bits of code now or you can wait till later.
2)Add a line in your Unreal.ini
EditPackages=Mymod (or whatever you called your dir) Then save.
3)Run ucc make. It will take all the editpackages and recompile them. It will take mymod and turn the a_3d, d_3d, and classes and make a package called mymod.u in your unreal system directory. Now when you open the editor it will always load your package as you specified in the unreal.ini file. ucc make will tell you if the compiling was a success. and i think thats it.
OR...you can (if you use 3ds max) get a program called Eerocks Unreal Model Utility which plugs into max and makes it so much simpler and works everytime /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

If i missed anything or you have any more questions just ask. Hope that works though.

Capt_Tripps

Nov 26, 1999
www.minot.com
Yes, That was it. I read the part on packages on the technology site, and it mentioned putting the reference to the mod directoru under the [EditPackages] section. I took it literally. I am now a compiling fool. Thank you.
No, I do not use Max, I use Animation Master. I couldn't possibly afford Max. I can export 3ds files though, and have managed to assign materials to the mesh (not export) with the milkshape3d beta. Do you know of and free programs that I can use to texture 3ds files. What I need is a wireframe exported and for the material to be assigned the to the vertexes. Any help would be appreciated.

Phenom

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
I am now curious if nPherno's skinning tool will work with 3ds files. Check out http://www.planetquake.com/q2pmp/ which is about to change design and name. It is a modelling resource for creating player models (all games, though it started with Quake obviously). It is going to change to a more encompassing format shortly. From there you can research all sorts of tools.
Milkshape is going to be back in December exporting 3ds again so...(and maybe .unreal files)

Phenom

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Interesting...I checked out skined and you can load pcx files to edit but you cant create a new skin. hmmmm. has anyone seen a wireframe model for unreal like quake uses? Im sure i have seen something like this around. Well im going to look into this some more.

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Actually, there are mesh maps out for everyone except the commandos and xan. Go here: http://www.actionxtreme.com/sundev/downloads/maps1.html
for Unreal maps (went up Nov.?) and to Shane's site for the UT stuff. You have to look it up in recent news because the old link I have no longer goes there.
Someone play with nPherno's Skin Tool, it is way.... better than SkinED but I don't know if it supports 3DS and .pcx. Theoretically, you could do everything as a .mdl2? and convert it using crusher or Andrew's converter but I have never tried it.

Capt_Tripps

Nov 26, 1999
www.minot.com
Well, here's what I got. I have managed to sucessfully import meshes from Animation Master into UT. If you goto http://www.minot.com/~lpowers/Animation_Master_to_UT_brush-mesh_import.jpg you can see a screenshot (29k) that shows a brush (star shaped flame holder with beveled edges. sorry about the poor view.) and a mesh (little yellow dude off the AM99 CD.). I imported the brush from a dxf, and the mesh as an item from a 3ds file textured with milkshape3d (beta). If I could program, I could actually make the little yellow dude do something. My only snag so far is that the 3ds file exported from AM contains no texture info (hence the texture question). I'll check out the links and see what I can do, and then get back. Thanks.