Communication Idea

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ignato

TBuildT Mapping Team
Apr 20, 2000
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys, I posted this idea a while back and got a positive response from many people, but I don't think any INF team members might have seen it.

Anyway, there is no doubt that INF will feature a complex communication system later down the road. Suppose I wanted to send out the message "Cover me" I was thinking that only the players within reasonable earshot would get the message. This I feel lowers the amount of useless messages such as a "Need assistance" coming from another teammate from across the map. This also encourages people to stick with their team.

I was also thinking of commands being heard by both teams. Naturally, everyone including the enemy in the area would hear a yell for “cover fire”. Perhaps the option to yell or whisper messages could also be put in to increase/decrease the range you want people to hear it. Now, I know hearing all those messages at once may be ineffective, but isn't that what war sounds like? Sounds of gunfire and screaming orders on both sides.....? Well, that's a few suggestions let me know what you guys think.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
useless messages such as a "Need assistance" coming from another teammate from across the map. This also encourages people to stick with their team.
And what about walky talky / radio ? :rolleyes:

Ignato

TBuildT Mapping Team
Apr 20, 2000
Toronto, Canada
Yes, there are radios and walky talky, but don't you think having them in INF is a little unproductive. I mean we have all played INF and I find myself ignoring many messages due to the fact that I am not in the area. Maybe an option for a radio per group of soldiers to contact each other, with the leader being assigned a radio/walky talky.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
if you take a close look at the inf models you'll see they are carying either throat rasios or small mikes and headsets. so they definately use radios.

what we need is the ability to make sub teams.

Ignato

TBuildT Mapping Team
Apr 20, 2000
Toronto, Canada
Yes, I agree with the need to make sub teams. Consider this, 12 guys on one team start in EP. Then 7 go off in one direction and the rest go off in the opposite direction. With the earshot idea there are your two sub teams. The two squads can't talk to each other, but if someone is in trouble on the other side of the map.... you can't really help them anyway.

These days most online players don't like to use teamwork (except for clan games), you have to force the player to use it. Sort of like a push in the right direction. We need to make it imperative that staying with your teammates will result in better communication and wandering off with result in isolation leading to death.

Hypenotist

Catharsis hypothesis
Mar 15, 2001
I just got roger wilco but the first few games I've played online asking anyone if they want to connect or even have roger wilco I get no response. Does anyone know any servers that have this voice communication system for general use? It's seems like the perfect solution for walkie talkie radio style comm. I definetly have a better game experience when my team has experience with tactics and cover like leap frog style. I believe alot of the players out there can follow body language style communication, thats usually what I use but only certain people get it.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I have also posted the similar idea to Ignato's awhile back. Voice communication definitely needs to be improved so that you can select to use a radio or just shout it out or wisper to those nearby. I'm sure this can be done. Since footsteps can be heard only by those who are near, the voice com can be implemented in the similar way.:)