Communication between Unreal Runtime and other programs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lazarre

Oct 20, 2005
Hello Sirs,

I'm a student, actually working on a project about game scenarization. My laboratory developped recently a system to make dynamic evolutions of a game while it's active : in simple terms, we have a system that analyse the current situation of a game, and can create modifications (as locking doors, or spawn bots) if it seems required (for example to adapt to the player's behavior).

I'm currently studying the possibility to make our programs working with Unreal runtime : the purpose is to design levels with Unreal Runtime and to direct the evolution of the game with our own program. the main question is to know if it is possible to make a communication between these programs. Our own can send and receive messages for this bur we don't know if Unreal Runtime can manage this, and how.

I've searched for some time on this problem, but I didn't find documentation on this point. So I ask you if you know something about that.

Thanks for answering me.

Lazarre

mwigand

Oct 21, 2005
Communication with external program

I've done some preliminary research into this, connect thr runtime to a simple win32 app. It was just a prototype and i was only sending text back and forth. The programs were running on 2 seperate machines and things seemed very stable. I'm not sure about how it works out with both on 1 machine.

Take a look into the TcpLink or UdpLink(Socket Connections) class.
UDN Link: https://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealSockets

Hope that helps.

Mike

Lazarre

Oct 20, 2005
Thanks a lot !

Unfortunatey I don't have access to this page (I only have the educationnal version of Unreal Runtime), so I think I'll have to suscribe for the commercial version first.

But now I know it can be done. Thanks !

Lazarre

Oct 20, 2005
Perfect !

With this I think I'll have all I need to work.

thanks again for the help.