Coming soon: JB-Aswan-v2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

expisCoR

Thinktank for the "Head CoR JB Mapper"
Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
Just played it.

I wanted to see the large spider kill my team, but after the game ended (and many suicides) (score 4-5 (yeah, i lost, but just because i wanted to be killed by the big one)). One time when the big spider arrived, it crushed one of the bots, that was fun to watch.

Other than me not getting killed by the big one (and the other team getting killed that way 3 out of the 4 times), it looks nice. No further comments at this time.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The chance for a "Big Bang" is 20% and it's totally random, when it's used. Whether you or the other team is executed that way doesn't matter much. You will always see it from the external camera's view.

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
It isn't mentioned anywhere in this thread, but:
this new v2-version also will have the runaway loop crashing problem fixed. :tup:

So no more:
JBSpiderSpawner JB-Aswan.JBSpiderSpawner14 (Function Engine.Actor.TriggerEvent:0061) Runaway loop detected (over 10000000 iterations)
Thanks Wormbo.

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
That has two reasons: You can't touch any of the spider spawners in Aswan-v2. Also, the code bug for the runaway loop (it allowed to disable the delay for respawning dead spiders) has been fixed.

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
can u plz include that spidermine package in the mapfile (dunno if it's possible though) to avoid the need of multiple files in order to play the map. would be nice :)

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Just gave it a quick run today (2x 10min games).

I love the spiderpits in the arena. The small spider execution looks way better, however it seems a bit easier now to outrun them (but then they will catch you after all). I also love the big spider.

Some minor points:
1) Some statues (see pic) are hardly visible, but then that's because of the "natural" lightning comming from above.
2) This bot (see pics) was very defensive, but then the "auto" ordered him to be in defensive stands. It just looked strange to see him standing there for a couple of minutes, doing nothing at all, not even wandering a bit. Most of the time he also faced the lift, standing with his back to the entrance. But then, as you can see in the AI-shot, he can look through walls if needed ;)
3) I only saw the big spider once. Should it do anything else then falling down, waiting and then explode (like walk a bit and kill players)? If so, it didn't.
4) Did the escape change? Otherwise it needs to be tested in a LAN game.
5) As SM said, it looks weird only one of the camera's is shown in Widescreen. Maybe put a normal extra camera right next to the deathcam.

As I said, I will give it another run tomorrow.

Attachments

• Aswan2-darkstatues.jpg
    Aswan2-darkstatues.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Aswan2-defensivebot1.jpg
    Aswan2-defensivebot1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Aswan2-defensivebot2.jpg
    Aswan2-defensivebot2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I'll duplicate the in-jail cams so there's one version for the camera spot and one for the execution sequence.

The statue is that dark on the original DOM-Aswan as well. (not really surprising since I didn't change the lighting) It's not really game relevant anyway, so I might as well leave it like that.

The defense spots have different priorities. The one down there has a lower priority, but the bot didn't go all wrong being there. Most of the bot attacks seem to use the elevator or the main entrance to the backroom.

The big spider is beamed in (possibly telefragging prisoners), opens up, plays a random animation and explodes.

The escape route has been rebuild completely from scratch.
You need to press a button in the jail to open the door to the trigger which opens the door to the teleporter. There's no way to get out of that smnall room unless someone presses the button again, so you will be killed by the spider mines and will not be able to escape during a regular release either.
The door to the teleporter will only stay open as long as someone stands on the trigger. The escape tunnel you are teleported to contains six spiders which will come out as soon as someone teleports in. The escape door will open slowly and stay open as long as someone is inside the tunnel. When the tunnel is empty the door closes again and completely seals off the tunnel so spiders can only get out during the time somebody tries to escape.
Bots know how the escape route works, but not how to open it. They frequently seem to manage to escape, but usually get killed outside the tunnel by spiders following them. I'd love to tell bots to stand on the trigger after the door was opened, but I don't know how.

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Wormbo said:
The defense spots have different priorities. The one down there has a lower priority, but the bot didn't go all wrong being there.
I've seen this behaviour regularly with bots, and I probably because it's part of the JB AI auto-asign.

E.g The red team bots (or humans) defend their button because 3 players are already captured. The last blue player stays on defence in his own base because his team is already in front in points. If no human player changes the bot strategy (or used attack/defend command) it can take some time until something is happening.
I'm not saying it has to be changed, I just thought I mention it here.

Wormbo said:
Bots frequently seem to manage to escape, but usually get killed outside the tunnel by spiders following them.
Spiders still into the map then? And stay there until the end of the map?

Wormbo said:
I'd love to tell bots to stand on the trigger after the door was opened, but I don't know how.
I was thinking about a JBJailBotTriggerSpot, which checks if there are other players in the same jail (playerCountNeeded, bCountBots bCountHumans), and if so, when the gate to the release opens (the trigger), the bot will go for the spot (checking a RandomValue property). It could also be used in escapes like Heights to press the button (triggered by a player who is on top).

How about a JBJailBotLadderTriggerSpot. Same principe, when there are more players in jail (possibly triggered if needed), the bot will go to the spot and Crouch. But then, how do you get the first bot on top of the second one?

//edit: I saw the (new) zip-package containts the ucl-file. This is not needed is it? When you play the map for the first time, it's auto-generated anyway.

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Spiders leaving the escape tunnel only do so for chasing down escaping players, but they will either explode because they reached the player or becasue they were destroyed by someone. In the rare case where spiders might not be destroyed they are reset at the end of the round. There's no way a spider leaves the tunnel without someone trying to escape.

Good idea with the JBJailBot spots, but that's something that needs to be implemented into the core package.

I've noticed that sometimes when the UCL is generated some textures in a map look much darker than they should. But anyway, since I already have the JBSpiderMines-v2.u in the System directory of the ZIP, why not add that file as well?

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
The ucl-file is just a plain text file, holding the LevelInfo (description, author, fallbackname, etc.).
If there is none available at the start of a map, UT will generate it out of the the ut2-file.
JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.ucl said:
Map=(MapName="JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1",Acronym=JB,PlayerCountMin=8,PlayerCountMax=12,FriendlyName=JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.LevelSummary.Title,Author="Bastiaan (Checker) Frank, JB: Wormbo",ScreenShot=JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.Screenshot.AswanScreenshot,Description=JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.LevelSummary.Description,FallbackDesc="Deep in the heart of the Ocean of Dunes, a small oasis of civilization welcomes the weary traveler. Any who step through the gates of the Temple of Aswan are welcome, though none may leave without taking part in the trials. The Anubans have used the trials as a means to test their prospective competitors for hundreds of years. Success means fame and glory, failure means the scavengers pick the meat from your bones. Are you really that thirsty?",FallbackName="Aswan")
Appart from the screenshot, I can't see any logical relation to textures or lightning in there.
But if you think it helps, feel free to distribute the ucl-file with it. ;)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Alright, here's Aswan-v2 Beta 2. Please test this in a multiplayer environment, I want to make absolutely sure the alternate escape route isn't too easy.

I've duplicated the jail cameras, so now of each camera there's a version with overlay texture and manual switching for the camera spot and one with widescreen for the execution sequence. I've also aligned the static meshes and navigation points in the jail exit areas to improve the path layout, but it seems all blue bots want the link gun, while the red bots always go for the shock rifle. Any idea about that?

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Saw this on the IRC channel probably worth passing on here:

<KaL976|BuF> the only bug i 'found' was the water in the passages in Aswan doesn't make any noise or have splashes

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
We just played a couple of Aswan-v2 games online on the Mothership.

Two points I (we) noticed:
1) The escape is way too easy. Only one spider to follow you. Sometimes even none. Maybe it's because this spider starts (or in the wall?) you, instead of starting from the other side. You just outrun it to the door, and most of the time you're out there without the spider even touches you. I would at least put an extra spider in.
2) The jail gate to the escapetunnel at one time stayed open, even during releases and during captures, right until the end of the map. Dunno what caused it though (see pic).

Attachments

• Aswan2-stuckdoor.jpg
    Aswan2-stuckdoor.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 28

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Birelli said:
<KaL976|BuF> the only bug i 'found' was the water in the passages in Aswan doesn't make any noise or have splashes.
It splashed for me (visualy, not sure about the sound). The blue side was OK, the red side I'm not sure about. You didn't mess around with your videosettings Kal?

The_Head said:
A spider got out into the map. Didnt see where it came from.
The escape with you out of the escape tunnel. It happens in the old Aswan version too. I think it's just fun. They will hunt players and explode/die when they touch a player. :p

Last edited:

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
I'm not sure why the jail escape door (the bars one) got stuck open. I wouldnt be surprised if it was just an unfortunate trigger problem.

On RimeValley, if you fly up into the volume that triggers the Raptor Doors to open and then bail while within this volume, the doors will remain open for the rest of the game. I guess that may because there was temporarily two actors triggering the doors to open. Theres nothing I can do about this, and its not that major, so I'm not too bothered.

Maybe that is related to this incident.