UE3 - UDK College student here with some questions!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LeviGratton

Oct 23, 2012
So I'm in my first semester, second year, at Loyalist College in Ontario. It's a general animation course, but we were asked to select a specialization to work on for a group project, I selected game.

So our college uses UDK as it's level design platform (Switching from a Hammer/UDK fusion last year) and we were told to design a pitch for a game, characters, etc and then try to have the game modled and coded by the end of the second semester.

Our game is planned out to be a sort of Tower Defense type game, but more in the vein of Plants Vs. Zombies, but in the respect that you'd have a point where you're defense and a point where you're offense at the same time.

Fixed camera angle, basic pathing (one direction), only a few units with basic behaviors for each team.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some good material to read, or watch, to help me figure out the best way to make this work with the level builder and Kismet coding.

Any help would be appreciated. This project doesn't equate to pass or fail, but it would be awesome for a demo reel, and I'd love to learn about what UDK can do beyond first person gaming.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Eat3d and 3dMotive are both pay sites that has detailed videos on what you're looking for. You can join both monthly for a low fee and cancel when you're done with them. There's also a ton of free youtube videos out there, just search for UDK plus what you need to learn.

LeviGratton

Oct 23, 2012
What about 3DBuzz? I've been directed towards them by another person (just currently having registration issues).

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, a quick UDK search should give you plenty of resources.
I always found it handy to have a printed book at hand.
Jason Busby has books on that topic as well as our own Rachel Cordone (if you need to get into programming).