claymore mines

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheChronoTrigger

[UMC]FrozenFlame
Aug 10, 2001
California
homepage.mac.com
I recently saw some screenshots of claymore mines in the unreal version of INF, I was wondering why these were removed, and I was also wondering if they will be reimplemented, I think they would make a fine addition to the game, INF is great but i'd like to see some more non-rifle/gun weapons, such as more variations of hand gernades and some mines, maybe motion sensor alarms or something as well.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
BTW I would die to have some 2€ AntiPersonal purpose Mines. (/me dreams)

Oh and an FR-F2 and Aimpoint + IR pointer for FAMAS and NVG.. Yes In fact I would like to play with a RL French Army back pack of course !

But unfortunly... Weapons suggestion are disregarded. ouch I disregarded myself.. sniff..

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Claymore mines are a tricky item to implement, mainly because they take time to deploy properly, and by the time you set up one(provided you haven´t been shot in the back doing so), the round would already be over :p

It should be well be noted that the only method of detonation that is "internationally acceptable" in terms of modern warfare conventions is via remote control.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Originally posted by ShakKen
It should be well be noted that the only method of detonation that is "internationally acceptable" in terms of modern warfare conventions is via remote control.

But MODERN army STILL uses mines. Even if they don't call them mines.

>>GDP<<Roach

NEVER mess with an OPOSSUM
Aug 31, 2001
Austria
www.chaotic-aura.net
well, i dont like the idea of mines (in real life as in INF) cause it just makes big maps like DM_exteremeprejudice (sucks anyway, i know ;) ) unplayable, cause all the snipers block the way to get them with these claymores! but i agree in generel to more "non-gun-weapons"! id like to see flashbangs (not only flash, but also bang! means not able to hear for a while [effect like in rouge spear would be neat...]). also teargas would be nice ( decreases stamina, breathcontrol useless to a certain degree when in area)

TitanBlue

KATSU AKIGATA WA NAN DESUKA
Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
*** WARNING: Disregarded Weapon Suggestion ***

>>>Claymore-Thread #76214<<<

TitanBlue's "claymore"-version, limited to one per soldier:
  • Use the fire-key to place one. No need to bury them, just hide them near bushes or around corners or anywhere else.
  • Use the alt-key to turn it to the right direction (lets say we have eight directions)
  • Use the a-key to detonate it with a remote-detonator in your hand
I think the idea with Claymores, u can't bury just hide, is fair. They would be detectable: just open your eyes an don't rush through the map.

They could also be defused by shooting, nading (*hehe*) or by "run & grab" :D

TitanBlue

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
I'm personally against claymores and other sorts of mines in the current build of INF because the maps, and gameplay just aren't designed with those devices in mind.

Imagine two clans on Dockside. One claymore to each.
That would mean each man can effectively shut down one doorway or hallway. The only way to get past one is to send one guy to go stomp over it.
Imagine being a sniper with that most patient and deadly rear guard.
Imagine BulleCourt with claymores.
Imagine trying to get out of an elevator with a claymore staring at you.

Maybe in U2, but for now, I say no way to claymores and anitpersonel mines.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Originally posted by poaw
That would mean each man can effectively shut down one doorway or hallway. The only way to get past one is to send one guy to go stomp over it.

And what about throwing a grenade ?

TitanBlue

Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by poaw
Imagine being a sniper with that most patient and deadly rear guard.
Imagine BulleCourt with claymores.
Imagine trying to get out of an elevator with a claymore staring at you.

Hi poaw
  1. Dockside = defuse them (shoot, nade, grab) or kill the operator
  2. Sniper = Remember: this is a remote and not a proxi-mine, the sniper has to detonate the mine. He has to decide: snipe the target in his field of view or pull out the remote and detonate the mine behind him. Also see 1.
  3. BulleCourt = see 1.
  4. Elevator = try to get out of an elevator with a sniper waiting
    [/list=1]

I don't think that the claymore is a 'unbalanced' weapon.

- You CAN SEE it. Just look, don't rush ;)
    - You CAN DEFUSE it or simply kill the operator
    - The operator NEEDS TIME to place it and could BE KILLED
    - The operator has to BE NEAR the mine and SEE YOU to remote detonate it
    - and last but not least: IT'S LIMITED and perhaps bulky (mine + detonator)

But i admit: there should be an admin-option to allow mines or not and there perhaps should be a warning message for all players when one has mines in his loadout and/or dropped one.

BTW thx DarkBls, thats another balancing point.

TitanBlue

jbJOGI

puzzled?
Apr 15, 2001
Germany
www.combatmaps.de
if there are mines, they have to be VERY expensive
also you should need some time to install them

there should be enough disadvantages at using the mines
if not, you would find them in every corner of the map...

but i think claymores might be an interesting addition to the gameplay of inf

TheChronoTrigger

[UMC]FrozenFlame
Aug 10, 2001
California
homepage.mac.com
proxy mines wouldn't work in the current state of inf, I agree with that, but remote mine would, make them so you can detonate them by shooting them, so you could take out the mine placer just as he goes to run and hide, boom!

maybe make it so you couldn't have another weapon ready while holding the detonator, that right there would be a big disadvatage, you couldn't shoot someone coming up behind you, definatly make a one per loadout limit, they would definatly have to be a server side option, maybe a map option if that's possible.

I'd also like to see smoke gernades, and flares. but I think flares will have to wait til they are necesserary,

also a note about maps being not being made with this in mind, so what, new maps will be made, and inf as a whole would be better

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
I dont see how the maps not made for it.
right now when you want to seal off a passage, you just stick a guy with a nade launcher behind you to do that job.

and he can do far more damage than a single remote detonated device, which still has to be operated by someone within a line of site to it.
use a nade launcher or use claymores, dosent change much with the exception that you can detonate claymores blind.

the major difference is that weapons like bombs let a team become more defensive. and force their opposition to look before they rush.
I dont see those as bad things.

The only added suggestion I would make is to let players take at least 2, like how they can take at least 2 m203 rounds.

TitanBlue

Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by TheChronoTrigger
maybe make it so you couldn't have another weapon ready while holding the detonator, that right there would be a big disadvantage, you couldn't shoot someone coming up behind you
Thats exactly what i had in mind. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

definatly make a one per loadout limit, they would definatly have to be a server side option, maybe a map option if that's possible.
I don't agree that mines should be server-only, there are many offline players :D but server-admins really should have the possibility to decide. Perhaps with a no-claymore mutator.

Hm Razz, AFAIK 40mm nades are much smaller than a claymore + remote. More than one and you have to carry 'em in your backpack... the animators will kill you :p

But the question for now is not "can we carry one or two claymores"... i would be glad if we get claymores at all ;) i think they would be a great addition fore a realistic gameplay and they also would enhance tactics in INF.

TitanBlue