Chaingun - question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
I'm serious, why do you think kids eat lead paint, lead tastes sweet.

Well, finish the other details first, then take care of hands, so if it doesnt come out good, you still have a good minigun.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
I'm serious, why do you think kids eat lead paint, lead tastes sweet.

Well, finish the other details first, then take care of hands, so if it doesnt come out good, you still have a good minigun.

ok, thanks Postal. Is it alright if I enter this in your weapon contest? If this needs to be more hush hush you could delete this topic. . .

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
The weapons dont have to be hush hush. . . I would love to see this in the contest, but you better get some good code behind it.

Yeah. . . .Fortunately Wong volunteered to do that part for me! j/k! :lol: I will begin researching the coding part.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
ROFL 451 said:
Yeah. . .I was kinda hoping he would help me with it. . .

Update on the chaingun: CRAP

I was talking to Wong yesterday. Well, I found the "polygon counter" tool, and LO AND BEHOLD! 18,000 poly's. :eek: So, I slapped an "optimize" modifier on the whole model, and w00t! 15,000 poly's! Through searching, I ound that EACH BULLET was 764 poly's. The barrels were 2,000 each, and so forth. So, bullets deleted, barrels replaced, cylinders shortened, cylinders have had sides removed. . . So now, without the bullets, my poly count is 2,000. As I re-model the ammo container (600 poly's) to have fewer poly's progress should improve.

Update 1-27-03 3:27 PM

I replaced the ammo container with one far smaller (will make it even smaller later, it is currently 320 poly's) and searched the whole model for large stuff. I found that my new barrels (all five together) were 980 poly's. . . half of my model's poly's. . . .Soo, I found each one had 5 height segments. I made it one height segment each, and voila! My entire model (no bullets yet though) it 1127 poly's!! YES!

Last edited:

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Remember with a very good skin, you can make up alot. The Deus Ex first person Meshes were just 2 or 3 sides with just the parts a player would see.

What if you just used cylinders for the rounds, then put a good skin on them.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
See, I got experience, that will never beat motivation, heh, thats why I know leads sweet.

Postal said:
Remember with a very good skin, you can make up alot. The Deus Ex first person Meshes were just 2 or 3 sides with just the parts a player would see.

What if you just used cylinders for the rounds, then put a good skin on them.

Possibly, but to keep poly count down I wanted to make a SMALL number of LARGE bullets. Refer to the other screenshots. Now, I COULD just make a Curved boxlike thing and the firing animation would cycle bullets thru it or something. . .Like, a Curved clip, leading from the ammo container to the gun . . . .Hmmmm. Or I could leave it unanimated and make it opaque, so that you just imagine the bullets going through, might save poly count. . .

Oh yeah, and the "first and third person" meshes, are they different? Will I have to make a whole new model just to make a 3rd person view one?

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Fallen Angel said:
If your making a fire animation - look at the U1 minigun animation, just one bullet went in , then came right back out, to go in... only noticed it with Bullet Time

Could you give me a link to it or something? Cause I don't have the U1 chaingun . . . or anything U1 for that matter. . .

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Is there a difference between 3rd Person model and 1st person? Because I was planning on deleting the areas a player would never view, but would I then have to create a completely new model for the 3rd person? I have my weapon mostly finished, and it's count is still around 1,100 polys, so I still have some for touchup. . .But what should I do now? Do I delete faces that a player wont see, or should I just stick with what I have now, because it is well within my goal of poly's. . .

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Yup, youre third could simply be a static mesh with the overall look of the gun, but the first must be the weapon you see, that can have the other faces deleted.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
Yup, youre third could simply be a static mesh with the overall look of the gun, but the first must be the weapon you see, that can have the other faces deleted.

So I need two complete meshes? One with deleted faces and one without?