car control

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ravu al Hemio

Comes, fixes, leaves.
Sep 1, 2004
Austria
CIpen said:
Very true what he says, if you know C and or C++ you can program in just about any lanuage.
Oh yes, I group the languages C, C++, C#, UnrealScript, Java, etc. into the so called "C-oids". Since I am a diehard C# programmer and have made experience with C and C++, it didn't take me long to learn UnrealScript... and it doesn't have pointers, which I hate above anything else because that kind of memory calling is... :mad:

Last edited:

CIpen

May 12, 2004
How about I put it like this, with the ONSWheeled craft in script, you can define an array of these as I have already done:

WheelLongFrictionFunc(0)
WheelLatSlipFunc(0)
WheelLongSlip(0)
WheelLongFrictionScale(0)
WheelLatFrictionScale(0)

This allows for something really good that epic didn't do....

This allows to have a trace to see what type of material the wheel(s) are in contact with, so you can then have the right wheel slip on each of the surfaces...

So when your racing and you try to wip through a curve at 130 mph but you end up in the grass, the car would slip around much more in the grass...

:D

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
CIpen said:
How about I put it like this, with the ONSWheeled craft in script, you can define an array of these as I have already done:

WheelLongFrictionFunc(0)
WheelLatSlipFunc(0)
WheelLongSlip(0)
WheelLongFrictionScale(0)
WheelLatFrictionScale(0)

This allows for something really good that epic didn't do....

This allows to have a trace to see what type of material the wheel(s) are in contact with, so you can then have the right wheel slip on each of the surfaces...

So when your racing and you try to wip through a curve at 130 mph but you end up in the grass, the car would slip around much more in the grass...

:D

I like it! I've been looking for ways to make the monsters more equal to the racing cars in a race and this is it! If a monster truck hits the grass it would be much less affected by the slip cause of those huge beefy tractor-like treads it's got, whereas a race car doesn't have that kind of grip.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
hmm i would like to see your finished product, cipen... you seem really really proud of it, i wonder if it will be justified

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
One thing i wouuld like to see would be some sort of traction control on surfaces. In UnrealSpeed we had it so Ice was very slipery and gravel had heaps of grip with other surface types in between. It feels like the vehicles are lacking grip with the ground, if you are going to add more grip dont add to much as sliding round a corner is the thing we want.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
yeah like powerslides would be cool... like, uhh ive been thinking of the traction control idea too, like its just too unforgiving when you spin out... whose idea was it to punish the player for spinning out anyway? i think its important to follow what gamers think of as good handling, not what the mod makers think of as good driving... which roughly means sega rally style powerskids when gamers want them, like turning the steering wheel instinctively would have a positive effect on the outcome of the turn...

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
carmatic said:
yeah like powerslides would be cool... like, uhh ive been thinking of the traction control idea too, like its just too unforgiving when you spin out... whose idea was it to punish the player for spinning out anyway? i think its important to follow what gamers think of as good handling, not what the mod makers think of as good driving... which roughly means sega rally style powerskids when gamers want them, like turning the steering wheel instinctively would have a positive effect on the outcome of the turn...

Hey, we tried to get rid of as much of the poor handling as we could. You hate it now? You shoulda tried it before :(

But it does give you an incentive to practise. :D

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
yeah dont any of you remember my ungrateful rambles back in 2003 about how all the vehicles behave like a wheeled tank, back in the old unwheel forums(where was it hosted again before it moved to beyondunreal)? its certainly better now, and definitely much much faster... but what im just trying to say, is like, the player should have control all the time the wheels are touching the ground...

JACK SH!T

Evil Genius in a Nutshell
Sep 2, 2004
hehehe, now that I got the hang of it, your getting ready to add new cars LOL
any/how many new maps going to be in the patch?

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
JACK SH!T said:
hehehe, now that I got the hang of it, your getting ready to add new cars LOL
any/how many new maps going to be in the patch?

The next patch will make it radically easier to control the cars, but they will still skid as much as they do.

Oh and I've added a couple of maps but I've given you enough info as it is.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
umm ok... i dont mind them skidding, but i dont like it when they are out of control , it must be an svehicle thing that makes them behave like sliding bricks or something... the way the vehicles in unwheel seem to work is you 'throw' them around corners , like where the corners are gentle enough to just steer through , you might just let go of the accelerator for abit and steer your way through, but most other corners look like they are from Deathmatch maps or something and you need special cornering techniques to maneuver them, and because of the lack of control during skids you'll just have to land them somewhere along the corner, then drive out of it from a standstill...
will the next patch also include the camera system that that british guy made back in unwheel's days in strategy-x? it gives an illusion of vehicular well-being when the camera follows the car in a graceful manner

Last edited:

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
yeah i've cycled through all the cams before already... one that follows the front left wheel, one that follows the front right wheel, one that goes in the cockpit, etc etc... i actually preferred to use the mouse to manually turn the view than let the follow camera turn for me... i dunno, but it feels too restrictive and claustrophobic, how it shifts to the sides of the car when its rolling about ,its very disorienting like that...also when its skidding, the camera seems to trace a point in front of the car and not on the car itself,and the car quickly drifts out of view during slides and stuff... the point in front of the car is a good idea , like it veers the camera to where the player wants to turn, but its conflicting with this skidding concept that you put into unwheel... maybe, in situations where the driver would fall out of the scorpion, the camera should automatically drop, and then after a delay the car rights itself and the camera resumes following the car... the 'follow' cam is just too stiff behind the car and i cant see jack of where the car is going to go... maybe i can try to play with the fov while im in unwheel using the follow cam

::edit:: ok, a fov setting of 120 is really good with the follow cam... but sometimes it sinks below the terrain or something , no big deal ... much more playable when i have a nice wide view and i see thing that are otherwise offscreen, and it has a 'whoosh' factor when everything zooms in at you like that...
how about like, umm... the camera is still facing in the same direction as it would be now... except, its position is offset horizontally so that the car will always be in the center of the view?how does that sound...tell me if i sound annoying already, cuz ummhh.... i am

Last edited: