Can't make network socket: NEED HELP!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xhalted1

Skilled
Dec 20, 2000
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Since last night I haven't been able to connect to any webpages and my seti@home client is unable to download a new key. I get the message of "The page cannot be displayed" in IE 5.0. But I get more info from Netscape and Seti: Cannot creat a network socket.

My Bell Atlantic ADSL internal modem connects fine. I just can't view any pages :( I can ping them! but I can't connect to them with any browser. Even stranger is I can connect to ICQ and if I run UT I Can connect to all servers in my favorites section! I can't refresh the servers list or join IRC it gives me the same network socket message :(

My system specs:
PIII 650
128MB
Win 98se
Voodoo 5500
2 hard drive = 40GB (Plenty of space on all drives)
3COM HomeConnect ADSL PCI Modem
CDR & DVD Drives

What I have done so far
My login to the system was missing so I installed Client for Microsoft Networks again even though it was still there!
I was able to login again :)
Then I uninstalled and reinstalled DUN after a reboot (or course)

I though that unistalling and reinstalling would do the trick :( I was wrong. Still can't creat/make a network socket

:confused:

Please help me.

Xhalted1

Skilled
Dec 20, 2000
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I have a new message from using Opera 5.0 to try to connect:

Winsox implementation lacks important functionality.

Is that the problem? If it is how do I fix it?

Thanks for any help :)

Gamma_Sword

Terrible, Terrible Damage!
Feb 12, 2001
Not There
Whether you lose your stuff from reinstalling Windows or not depends.

If you have OEM versions of Windows, then yes, you'll lose everything as this version will force you to format your hard disk.

If you have standard version, I think they have an option where it only lets you reinstall Windows, but you also probably need to reinstall most applications again... but at least you won't lose anything else (btw, if you do this, you'll lose all your Favorites and stuff like that so back them up or copy them to another folder).

WinSock is a very important part of Windows networking stuff. If it's corrupted, then you probably would have to reinstall, or try to find a replacements for it (so you can copy working WinSock files to your computer)