Can't delete .ogg files from my pc

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GGN

Sep 23, 2004
For some reason I can't delete .ogg files from my pc. I always get an error message "Can't delete file ... it's being used by another person or program"

I am the only user and have tried closing down all the programs, i've even removed all codecs and filters without success. Could it be a process using those file and if so, how do I find which one?

Any ideas?

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
Download Process Explorer. Run it and go to the Find > Find Handle... option. Type in the name of the ogg file, and do a search. It should tell you what process is using the file.

You can force the process to release the file by double-clicking of the search result, and then right clicking on the highlighted entry in the bottom pane, and select Close Handle. Doing this is dangerous and could cause the process to become unstable.

GGN

Sep 23, 2004
Thanks

I did what u said and close the handle which was "CTFMON.EXE". I still couldn't delete the files. I found that this process has windows explorer as a parent process which i guess means that anytime i load explorer, that process is also launched and prevents the files deletion.

Any suggestions?

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
GGN said:
I found that this process has windows explorer as a parent process which i guess means that anytime i load explorer, that process is also launched and prevents the files deletion.
Not quite. It just means that it was started by explorer.
In the case of CTFMON however, it will start itself when you boot your computer, and any time you start many other programs (Internet Explorer for one).

You should try to kill the CTFMON.EXE process and then delete the files. That is completely safe.

CTFMON is used for 'alternative input' like Speech to Text.

GGN

Sep 23, 2004
killing the process with explorer still loaded doesn' work. The only way I can delete the files is using media player or winamp. I still can't rename or move thefiles. Is there any way to deassociate the ogg files from explorer or the cftom.exe process

mikeohara

Out Of Retirement, B***H.
Jun 28, 2004
White Oak, TX
www.otakuinaroom.com
GGN said:
killing the process with explorer still loaded doesn' work. The only way I can delete the files is using media player or winamp. I still can't rename or move thefiles. Is there any way to deassociate the ogg files from explorer or the cftom.exe process

what you could also do is open a command window (going into start, run, type in cmd) and manuvering to the directory in question and typing I believe del *.ogg

GGN

Sep 23, 2004
Did you mean del [filename]? Even if that works I'm still stuck with files that I can't rename or move.

Heeeeeeeelp!

GGN

Sep 23, 2004
I have removed ctfmon.exe completly but the problems persists. It must be something else.

(I have found that I can manipulate the files usng pinnacle instant DVD software) but I do need explorer to work for some applications.

Mckloshiv

Feb 5, 2022
Super necro post, but I want to let people know who end up stumbling upon this know the cause of this issue, and what you can do to fix it.

First off, the cause is Microsoft tried to make .ogg and other media files playable on Edge. They created extensions to do so, which are installed along with your copy of Windows.

The solution: If you have any way of playing .ogg files outside of using Microsfot Edge, you can safely uninstall these extensions, which will allow you to modify/delete the .ogg files without File Explorer (previously Windows Explorer) crashing or hanging up. The way to do so is simple:
  1. Click Start, Settings, Apps, Apps & features.
  2. Scroll down the list, select Web Media Extensions, and click Uninstall.
You should now be able to modify/delete any .ogg files using Explorer. I hope this helps anybody in the future who stumbles across this thread searching for answers :)

*Note: If you need this Extension later, you can always reinstall it later from the Microsoft Store