1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Can't delete .ogg files from my pc

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by GGN, Sep 23, 2004.

1. GGN

GGN New Member

For some reason I can't delete .ogg files from my pc. I always get an error message "Can't delete file ... it's being used by another person or program"

I am the only user and have tried closing down all the programs, i've even removed all codecs and filters without success. Could it be a process using those file and if so, how do I find which one?

Any ideas?

2. haarg

haarg PC blowticious

Download Process Explorer. Run it and go to the Find > Find Handle... option. Type in the name of the ogg file, and do a search. It should tell you what process is using the file.

You can force the process to release the file by double-clicking of the search result, and then right clicking on the highlighted entry in the bottom pane, and select Close Handle. Doing this is dangerous and could cause the process to become unstable.

3. GGN

GGN New Member

Thanks

I did what u said and close the handle which was "CTFMON.EXE". I still couldn't delete the files. I found that this process has windows explorer as a parent process which i guess means that anytime i load explorer, that process is also launched and prevents the files deletion.

Any suggestions?

4. haarg

haarg PC blowticious

Not quite. It just means that it was started by explorer.
    In the case of CTFMON however, it will start itself when you boot your computer, and any time you start many other programs (Internet Explorer for one).

You should try to kill the CTFMON.EXE process and then delete the files. That is completely safe.

CTFMON is used for 'alternative input' like Speech to Text.

5. GGN

GGN New Member

killing the process with explorer still loaded doesn' work. The only way I can delete the files is using media player or winamp. I still can't rename or move thefiles. Is there any way to deassociate the ogg files from explorer or the cftom.exe process

6. mikeohara

mikeohara Out Of Retirement, B***H.

what you could also do is open a command window (going into start, run, type in cmd) and manuvering to the directory in question and typing I believe del *.ogg

7. GGN

GGN New Member

Did you mean del [filename]? Even if that works I'm still stuck with files that I can't rename or move.

Heeeeeeeelp!

8. [UM]theswarm

[UM]theswarm Spork of the Apocalypse!

You can probably do a ctrl+c on them and paste to move them, but no ideas on renaming.

9. Kaligraphic

Kaligraphic Charles leChaud is my hero

copy/delete if rename doesn't work - and to delete, try a delayed-deletion proggie like dellater.

10. GGN

GGN New Member

I have removed ctfmon.exe completly but the problems persists. It must be something else.

(I have found that I can manipulate the files usng pinnacle instant DVD software) but I do need explorer to work for some applications.