California Passes Nation's First Antiphishing Law

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Under the Anti-Phishing Act, introduced by state Senator Kevin Murray, any attempt "to solicit, request or take any action to induce another person" to divulge personal information on the Internet via "a Web page, electronic mail message or any other electronic means" while representing oneself as a business without the permission or authority of that business is a civil violation.

Oh goody. That'll show them nigerians...
Another BS law. :hmm:

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Laws just can't protect our privacy, no matter how many are passed. I just found out that around the late 1980s or early 1990s (I can't remember really,) they made it illegal to telemarket. Did they even once stop and make an attempt, even half-ass, to enforce that? No, there will always be spam and telemarketing and whatnot. The only thing they're kinda trying to get rid of is identity theft. Spam and dinnertime phone calls are a nuisance, but identity theft is more serious. But, I don't really mind spam and telemarketing as much as other people do. Some people flip out, like, "What the hell do they think they're doing, calling me at this time! I have so many emails to delete!" O NOES! You have to be a total moron to believe those Nigerian emails, and using a spam filter/junk folder is easy. Sure, it sucks, but it's not like identity theft. And I don't think anyone's saying otherwise.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Well it's a good concept and looks good on paper, but when applied to the internet, which in itself is a whole different world, or even universe from our real one, (it's the wired, there are borders between the wired and real world, and laws of the real world cannot cross), it doesn't do much, or anything.