BU's image viewer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Please either enhance it alot or remove it. It really sends any browser to its knees. Especially the larger galleries like the ut3 one.

It's extremely annoying not just being able to tab away from a loading image because that'll take a million years and you'll end up with a blank tab.
And it loads so effing slow. So I usually give up before watching an image. It's not like my connection is slow as it supposedly should be 10/1.

Last edited:

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
After this month when things calm down at work a bit, I have several projects for BU to work on. Replacing the image viewer is near the top of that list.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
when you click on the center of an image in the image viewer (which works fine here (machine with only 2 GB of RAM)) it opens the image directly. Guess that's no use though, if you can't see the images in the first place.

You see, I quite like the image viewer, because before you had to click back and forwards for different images where as now you can just browse the relevant images and choose which ones you want to see in more detail.
Also before the image viewer days, it seemed to me as though the images were saved a little bit anywhere on the site, meaning that when you went back to old articles pictures were sometimes missing. It's always run smooth for me :tinfoil3:

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
There are some good things about the new viewer, but many people have had issues with it. What I have in mind should include the best parts of the new viewer, but will simplify things significantly.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
This image viewer has appeared recently on many sites. It looks fancy but one big letdown is that people who have connection problems have to reload a page in order to access a site again.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I hate that if you look at 20 images you have to hit back 20 effing times to get back to front page. It's terrible for usability and makes you look at each image twice for no reason.

A BU-wide problem is that whenever you go back to the front page it doesn't remember your scrolling place and instead puts you back at the top every time. Annoying! This is basic interbutts functionality! :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I hate that if you look at 20 images you have to hit back 20 effing times to get back to front page. It's terrible for usability and makes you look at each image twice for no reason.
It's terrible usability that you can browse through the iamges you've viewed and bookmark specific images in a gallery? That's basic nterbutts functionality! :p
A BU-wide problem is that whenever you go back to the front page it doesn't remember your scrolling place and instead puts you back at the top every time. Annoying! This is basic interbutts functionality! :(
That's because the page is dynamic PHP and can't be cached by your browser. We'll probably look into some way to fix that at some point.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It's terrible usability that you can browse through the iamges you've viewed and bookmark specific images in a gallery? That's basic nterbutts functionality! :p
Pfft. Everyone knows you bookmark and/or send people the full path to images. :p

That's because the page is dynamic PHP and can't be cached by your browser. We'll probably look into some way to fix that at some point.
Hmm. If it's merely a caching issue then even WordPress has got the caching thing handled. I recall reading an article on a basic way to do it; didn't seem too difficult.

IMO, you guys should use Lightbox so you don't even have to navigate away from the front page. That solves both problems. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem is that lightboxes are not very conducive to galleries. It would only really function for individual images.

Additionally, the galleries themselves are bound to have more than few images that we can just display on a single page effectively. It's better to have it in a built gallery like we have (though it has it's share of problems).

There is really nothing specifically wrong with the way it's functioning right now. If it's slowing your browser to a crawl, there is something wrong with your system in terms of extensions installed in firefox, or something else if it's another browser. I use/used it in FF2, FF3, Opera 9, Safari 2, Safari 3, Konqueror, and IE6 and 7 and all of them work just fine.

That said, something simpler would be better.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I haven't messed around with Lightbox too much, but you can "galleryize" it a bit and navigate through a list of images without much of a problem.

I found a WordPress plugin that launches it automatically for all images linked to in a given post. You insert the thumbnails and it handles the rest. Fairly handy, IMO.

I recall BU's current gallery thing not even navigating the images well. I remember several instances of me hitting the next button and getting a completely different image than I was expecting. :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The database joining on a few of the categories got messed up when we first started, so some of the images are mixed up. I haven't had time to go through them and fix them.

Still, I DO agree that the image viewer could be better, but what we have works for right now.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
This is an idea for a gallery, but I doubt it would go well with large galleries.
The basic idea of the image viewer is good, though it should instead of having fancy scrollers and advanced javascript, or whatever it is, use a simple image and a row of thumbnails. Possibly a very basic slider for the thumbnails. I believe most can live without the forward, back links on the images.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
God I am so glad this is getting looked at. I have been meaning to create a thread like this for ages but put the lag down to browsing the site on my laptop. I rarely look at the front page these days but if I do I really avoid clicking the images since it takes so long to view one.

I think Kotaku is the only site with a similar image system but it seems to work faster, maybe you should look into doing it the same fashion as them?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well the one we are currently using has a lot of bloat, for sure. It's also quite buggy. A better solution is what we are shooting for that fits our needs more precisely instead of just shotgunning it.

daloonie: Your image viewer is pretty buggy and wouldn't work well for a large gallery, but point well taken.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
What exactly was wrong with the way it used to be done, where clicking the image actually brought it up instead of a black screen that doesn't do anything else?

This is another user chiming in with "get rid of it, it sucks". Please?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The old way was fine for individual images, except that there was no way to browse images with it. We wanted to introduce image galleries so people could look through images in different categories at their own discretion, and this was just the implementation we ended up with.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
It would probably work fine if you didn't have 50000 Firefox extensions installed.

We wanted to make some improvements to the image viewer. Obviously it isn't perfect at this point. But we've already said several times it is going to be worked on in the near future.