Bumpmapping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
I had a read of that but as pointed out in the comments the code has some very bad performance issues.

Some of the code access all the tetxures using the effect instead of only what you can see. So it will cause a lot of lag

Also he mentions it was designed for side scrolling mod he was working on, so the bumpmap panning effect is not designed for walls/ceilings

I have been looking at it and others. Hopefully someone will fix up the code and I can try it, as I would like to use such features.

or we could move to tribes vegence where they added this feature to the unreal 2.0 engine :lol:

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
Well, it has normal, specular, a rather nice glow/bloom effect, and it also uses Havok 2 and not ****ty Karma. It was an earlier version of UE2 than what UT2004, though. However it's been modified to exceed UT2004's capabilities it think. I should ask my co-worker what's different about it (he worked on T:V), but i don't think he really liked Unreal engine (like me :p, although after looking at HL2's tools i wish Unreal had more appealing features).

The question is though, do DA2 fans own/*cough*have*cough* T:V? I doubt most of them would like to see it on tribes.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2003
Australia
Doom 3's modding tools are better still, pitty the engine's so limiting. UE3's modding tools make me drool (and just from the screen shots). HL2's tools are just HL1 legacy tools, which really ****s me off.

Bytekeeper

Last of the Brunnen G
Jul 15, 2001
Germany
Visit site
From my POV (so coder's ;) ) HL²'s moddability pretty much on an equal level with UT modding. While it might allow to mod "more" it lacks in having the same structure as HL¹ and therefore Quake 1. Unreal on the other hand uses a non-standard programming language which includes several hacks. But there you find it better structured.
Also, before switching to another engine one should consider the additional overhead:
T:V might be a better choice than HL² because it most likly uses a similar map editor as UT2k4 and it has the same scripting language. Switching to HL² is surely more work, but maybe for a superior engine.

Jul 26, 2003
Australia
HL2's coding side is supposed to be very similar to HL1's. That was valve's intent, to make it's modding tools and modibility the same to that of HL1, but they fail to realise that HL1's modding tools are arse. They should have IMPROVED those legacy tools for HL2 instead of regugitating them. Just because HL1 had the biggest modding community doesn't mean it's tools were the best. Doom 3's tools are incredable, yet doom 3's modding community is dying very quickly.
The primary questions you should ask when deciding to switch engines are:
"How large is the community of the engine/game in question" (the most important aspect. If the community is dying, you'll just be wasting your time) and "Will the fans appreciate this?" . All other questions like "How good are the tools?" or "What kind of graphical effects does it have over the current engine?", are secondary.

Last edited:

Bytekeeper

Last of the Brunnen G
Jul 15, 2001
Germany
Visit site
Large community of a game doesn't mean large fan base. Better have a small community with a loyal fanbase than a large community where you also have much competition. But well - who cares for which engine you mod, if at least somebody plays it afterwards.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
UE3 it is then! but we all knew that already ^_^

Problem is, is the first UE3 title from Epic wont be Unreal, so will the community be big enough or wait till UT3, either way the new Epic game will act as a good point to develop any future game on first. Then if the community is not very big or whatever it should be easy to move it over to any future unreal game which should have a bigger following...

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
I am just way too hooked into UEngine tools and the way they work. Changing engine now at least for me will mean a total new way of doing things which I am not ready to learn.

Dont get me wrong HL2 tools might be good/bad/whatever I am just not ready to learn from scratch.

I like solving Accessed Nones and play around in UDE.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
]-UnderTOW-[ said:
I'm gonna go and get T:V today. I wanna see what the modding tools are like

They ****ed around with the UED interface for a start, turned all the icons green and invented new icons for everything and altered the layout of the interface. :)

I did notice on the TV site they where releasing tools for modders, like a special matinee tool which i think helped you to use lipsink or something in the models.

Dont worry scotty, no conversions