Bulletstorm Footage

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It looks good still... though now every time I see discussion of the story, I really don't get why there is not co-op.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
It looks good still... though now every time I see discussion of the story, I really don't get why there is not co-op.

My hunch is that the player's companions—the characters that would have been used in co-op—have pivotal roles in the plot line, such as death, betrayal, and stuff that would make for good story telling, but a bad co-op experience.

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
In the latest Gametrailers TV episode, which was mostly about Bulletstorm, Cliffy confirmed that there will be some "online aspect" to the game. From what he was saying, regular old deathmatch seems unlikely, but some sort of coop could be in the works, or perhaps something totally different from what we normally think of for online FPS games, like Skillshot leaderboards with friends.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

And I don't really get why you keep saying this even after people have repetitively quoted you saying that it's because of the way their system works. ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
And I don't really get why you keep saying this even after people have repetitively quoted you saying that it's because of the way their system works. ;)
No amount of saying "our system doesn't work that way" makes me actually believe their system CAN'T work that way. Are you telling me that every game where someone can steal your kill and get some kind of bonus for it is a game where co-op won't work? Because that sounds as ridiculous as not understanding why the game doesn't have co-op.

Kantham can't be on these forums because our forums don't work that way... yet here you are!

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
The whole "slo-mo" effect doesn't lend itself to any kind of multiplayer/co-op.
All I can say is it looks very consolized, making my PC feel old and neglected.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
sarcasm

I also liked a lot Borderlands (even if co-op isn't for me).
I heard people say there was consolization in Borderlands, and I didn't understand why. With this game, I have no idea too. Looks like a normal (great) PC game.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
No amount of saying "our system doesn't work that way" makes me actually believe their system CAN'T work that way. Are you telling me that every game where someone can steal your kill and get some kind of bonus for it is a game where co-op won't work? Because that sounds as ridiculous as not understanding why the game doesn't have co-op.

Perhaps the word "work" isn't exactly the right one for you. It would probably be "totally unfun" or something like that. Though I doubt they'll completely flush out the co-op ability just because of that, but you sure acted like you didn't get why they won't/wouldn't include co-op.

Kantham can't be on these forums because our forums don't work that way... yet here you are!

Did that even made any sense to you when you typed it?
I'll just assume it makes as much sense to you as it makes sense not having co-op in Bulletstorm. Or something.
If so, maybe I'm getting a hang of Brizzanesse.

I heard people say there was consolization in Borderlands, and I didn't understand why.

It is a good PC game, however, it lacked quite a few things to really make it feel like one. I was literally annoyed with the fact that they didn't include any way possible to tweak their shadow system for optimization. There also was a severe (cache?) issue where players would experience major lag after a few minutes of gameplay. I'm not sure if they fixed that yet but I was one getting it too, I think it's related to Quad cores. It took a long while before they were able to fix it, if they have.

Gamespy, few options, no official SDK/Editor/ETC, no way to disable microphone from menu on release..
It's a bunch of facts like this that makes Borderlands look less of a PC game, but I've seen FAR worse ports on this platform.

I wouldn't say it's a console port anyhow.
And I too don't understand why people would call BuS a console port this early in development.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Perhaps the word "work" isn't exactly the right one for you. It would probably be "totally unfun" or something like that. Though I doubt they'll completely flush out the co-op ability just because of that, but you sure acted like you didn't get why they won't/wouldn't include co-op.
I have no idea what this is even supposed to mean. The fact of the matter is, they can make "their system" function however they want it to, with co-op or not. So no amount of replying to every post about co-op with "there is no co-op because of their system" makes it sound like co-op isn't possible. What is so hard to understand about that?

I know why THEY said there is no co-op. That doesn't mean anything.
Did that even made any sense to you when you typed it?
The whole point is that it doesn't make sense.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
The fact of the matter is, they can make "their system" function however they want it to, with co-op or not. So no amount of replying to every post about co-op with "there is no co-op because of their system" makes it sound like co-op isn't possible. What is so hard to understand about that?

I know why THEY said there is no co-op. That doesn't mean anything.
It's not so much a question of whether co-op is or is not possible, but a question of what will be more fun.

I think players stealing kills and breaking combos could be a fun competitive experience, however by it not being included it must not be fun or functional. But I have a hard time believing there would be a technical aspect holding co-op back. Again, I'm guessing that co-op wouldn't be fun given the plot. The game appears to have a small cast of protagonists, so any character development will have more impact.

As a counter example, in Gears the cast of characters is big enough that characters can be killed off without impacting any co-op experience, because the core group of Dom, Marcus, Cole, and Baird remains intact. With only three protagonists (yet revealed) in Bulletstorm, killing off a character (or a similar event) that would prohibit co-op is more likely.

If my hunch is correct, then I think it's for the better. I'd much rather have interesting characters and an interesting narrative than co-op.

Last edited:

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
The whole "slo-mo" effect doesn't lend itself to any kind of multiplayer/co-op.
All I can say is it looks very consolized, making my PC feel old and neglected.

What about Killing Floor? That had a lot of slow motion and it was ONLY co-op.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think players stealing kills and breaking combos could be a fun competitive experience, however by it not being included it must not be fun or functional. But I have a hard time believing there would be a technical aspect holding co-op back. Again, I'm guessing that co-op wouldn't be fun given the plot. The game appears to have a small cast of protagonists, so any character development will have more impact.
Like.... Borderlands? :con: I can kind of see wht you're saying, but to a certain extent having four of the main character for co-op would still be entertaining (and doing combos with your friends for maximum points? Please.)
What is with all the Co-op rage? Can we have a enjoyable single player game these days without co-op or multiplayer?
No, actually, not for $50. I honestly cannot think of many games that absolutely would not benefit from co-op. Most games don't have it, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't or that it won't work.