[Browser Troubles] Mozilla Firefox / Internet Explorer help.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
Yeah I am having some problems with my internet browsers on my other computer. Both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer open but they can't find any webpages. I know the internet is working on it because I am able to use X Fire and play games online.

Does anybody know what is wrong or even a better a way to fix it?

Thanks.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Check your proxy server settings and your firewall. Also in your TCP/IP Settings, check your DNS settings. If its just 1 machine, likely your router is fine. if you have multiple machines, is there the same problem throughout?

One way to tell if its DNS or not, try pinging a site like www.google.com. If it doesn't resolve an IP, its your DNS. Try pinging 66.102.7.99 (Google), if it replies 4 times, try browsing to it. That would definately be DNS.

Last edited:

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
Xaero said:
Check your proxy server settings and your firewall. Also in your TCP/IP Settings, check your DNS settings. If its just 1 machine, likely your router is fine. if you have multiple machines, is there the same problem throughout?

One way to tell if its DNS or not, try pinging a site like www.google.com. If it doesn't resolve an IP, its your DNS. Try pinging 66.102.7.99 (Google), if it replies 4 times, try browsing to it. That would definately be DNS.

The problem is just on the one machine.

It does reply 4 times but neither Mozilla nor IE browses to it.

Perhaps this will help (im not the best with computers :() This all started after I finished an Adware scan, at the end of it I deleted all the files, is it possible that some important browser files got deleted?

Thanks again for the help.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Have you cleared your Cache/temp internet files?

Also you might try plugging in the Google IP into Firefox/IE. If it works, its almost definately a DNS problem somewhere. If it doesn't, there is something with the browser (proxy, firewall, etc.)

Check proxy servers in Firefox: Tools->Options->General->Connection Settings (at the bottom). Find out if there are any proxy servers enabled.

Also check your Windows Firewall (assuming your running XP) or check for any firewalls running in your System Tray.

edit: what adware program did you use? perhaps it installed some pro-active spyware protection thats working a little TOO well.

Last edited:

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
I tried them and none of them worked.

The adware programme I used was Ad-Aware 6 from Lavasoft.

Thanks again for trying to help.