Borderlands' Mad Moxxi DLC Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot has been released for the PC version of Borderlands via Steam and can be purchased for $9.99.

Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot is an addon pack for Borderlands that includes a new cooperative arena game mode and a stash to store your gear.

Are you god's gift to gun fights? Think you're the best? Wanna prove it? Then help us celebrate the grand opening of Marcus Bank (a subsidiary of Marcus Corp) by killing hundreds and hundreds of people in Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, the only competitive arena around where your next of kin can be assured that you're coming back famous . . . or not at all. (All proceeds are kept by us)

As was the case with the previous DLC installment released for Borderlands, this one contains SecuROM which enforces a five install limit (a revoke tool is available).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Fun? Yes. This is a CO-OP ONLY DLC. Don't even think of doing it solo.

Worth $10? Not really.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
DLC for money. I really hate the thinking of developers these days.
(Not to mention what EA is planning too, if you've read the news lately.)
WW3 is fought by economics :p

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'm going to wait until this gets included in a Steam sale. As much as I would like lockers and the content sounds fun (and challenging... I loved UT2's invasion mode) I still think their DLC would be more palpable at the $5-7 range.

(Not to mention what EA is planning too, if you've read the news lately.)

You mean lowering the upfront cost and offering more DLC to make up for it? Sounds fine to me. I'd rather pay $30 for a game and find out I don't like it, but if I do I keep investing in the experience.

EA is on to something though. Pricing is going to have a shakeup soon. The World of Goo "name your own price" experiment definitely demonstrated this to me.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Last I knew they were.. than again I haven't been completely in tune with PC developments these days, what with my gaming rig on the west coast and me still on the east (well until the 13th anyways).

Maybe I have it wrong, if so, apologies.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I think Haarg was referring to SecuROM on the DLC, not EA using it (or not using it).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah. $10 for an install limit and $5-$7 of value... so the extra cost is FOR the install limit, right? :p I wouldn't have this if it hadn't been free.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
That's the problem with $10 DLC. Once you've got 3 installments, you've just paid for an expansion pack. From what I've read of Dr. Ned (going to run through it this weekend I think) and Mad Moxxi this isn't on parity with most expansion packs. Which is unfortunate.

Valve had the right idea with Crash Course when they released it for 540 MS Points. If these were priced accordingly I think they would be better received.

I'd be interested to see sales numbers from Steam for Dr. Ned before and during the holiday sale.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
You mean lowering the upfront cost and offering more DLC to make up for it? Sounds fine to me. I'd rather pay $30 for a game and find out I don't like it, but if I do I keep investing in the experience.

EA is on to something though. Pricing is going to have a shakeup soon. The World of Goo "name your own price" experiment definitely demonstrated this to me.

They want to sell the DLCs as well. Valve episodic content anyone? Congartulations for killing the Half Life franchise. Unfortunately they CAN do that because everyone will buy it even it even comes out as Half Life Forever :rolleyes:

Back in the day devs released a fully completed game then started releasing Expansion packs (aka nowdays DLCs) but these days thanks to all the technology stuff going on with HD everything, both the final product and the expansion pack ends up twice the price and half the content. EA style ;)

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
They want to sell the DLCs as well. Valve episodic content anyone? Congartulations for killing the Half Life franchise. Unfortunately they CAN do that because everyone will buy it even it even comes out as Half Life Forever :rolleyes:

Would you have preferred another 5+ year wait between HL2 and a bundle of the HL2 episodes?

Back in the day devs released a fully completed game then started releasing Expansion packs (aka nowdays DLCs) but these days thanks to all the technology stuff going on with HD everything, both the final product and the expansion pack ends up twice the price and half the content. EA style ;)

Right. Because Starcraft Brood War doesn't contain content that was dropped before release. Expansions always start pre-production while the game is in test/bugfix/certification mode.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't have a problem with paying for DLC as long as it adds something good. This DLC seems to be the equivalent of buying UT with DM and TDM and then paying $10 for CTF.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I'm ok with forking out a few bucks for DLC as long as the DLC I get is good and adds value to the game

I think Dr. Neds was pretty good and added value to my Borderlands game...but this Mad Moxxi DLC seems like a diversion to the real game

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I don't have a problem with paying for DLC as long as it adds something good. This DLC seems to be the equivalent of buying UT with DM, TDM, CTF and then paying $10 for Mutant.

fixt.

I don't see the appeal in this dlc at all. The combat in borderlands is okay, but definitely not the main drive of the game. What I (and most, I'm sure) enjoy the most about it is just running around scavenging for phatloots and developing your character.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah, looting is the real fun. And to make it even worse, only bosses drop loot in this DLC. Actually, it's the last person you kill in the Boss round, so often it's just some clunky loser.