[Books] The Wheel of Time

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Does anyone here read Jordan's Wheel of Time series? I just finished book eleven not long ago, and I'm craving talk... :D

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
What is the name of the 11th book? Can't remember if I read it or not...know I've read the first 10 though. They are alright, check out Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series if you like that type of fantasy stuff. (IMO the SoT is much better than WoT)

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Knife of Dreams is book eleven.
Crossroads of Twilight was book ten.
:)

The Sword of Truth series is good, but I prefer the Wheel of Time; the scale is so much bigger that the characters can be so much more dynamic. At times I don't like Jordan's style as much because he's so detail oriented, but he has so many layers and storylines at once that I love it.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Last book I finished was Da Vinci Code after that i started with 'angels and demons' and Paolini's 'eldest' the 2 were great but I guess I got engrossed in other means entertainment.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The Thomas Covenant books are brilliant. I haven't read them in years but I've read the whole series twice. I could read them again.

If you like Donaldson check out the Gap series as well.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
I just finished Knife of Dreams this past Sunday. Great book. He's finally starting to reel everything back in, finishing off story arcs in preparation for Tarmon Gai'don. I think there are 2 books left, so we'll finally see if Rand lives or dies ("You must die to live" - wtf?) in what, 2009?

EDIT: I actually listened to part of it on CD, then went back and reread the whole book. I finally know how to pronounce all those names!

ANOTHER EDIT: "My husband rides from Lands End towards Tarmon Gai'don. Who will ride with him?" - best line in the book, although I'm probably quoting it wrong.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I like WoT but I find myself skipping page after page because Jordan is so apt to try to explain everything. It's nice in some cases, but most of the time it's really boring. Has a great story, though.

If you haven't, try to locate a copy of the Wheel of Time PC game, it's got an awesome "prelude" type story and really cool multiplayer. Who doesn't want to blast others with Ter'angreal while shouting "BURN YOU!"

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
GotBeer? said:
I think there are 2 books left, so we'll finally see if Rand lives or dies ("You must die to live" - wtf?) in what, 2009?

EDIT: I actually listened to part of it on CD, then went back and reread the whole book. I finally know how to pronounce all those names!

My friends and I came to the conclusion that there will be some seperation between Lews Therin and Rand during/before Tarmon Gai'Don. I would guess that Lews Therin will die, and Rand can live, if only because Jordan seems to like making things somewhat fair; as Therin has already lived his life, Rand has spent his entire adult life in preparation for the Last Battle...

And... Moraine... comming... back...! Fuck yes! I think Deepsie would bust a nut if he knew that.

And how does one pronounce the names, praytell? :D

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Examples (and no, I'm not a dictionary, so don't get on my pronunciation style):
Aes Sedai = eye sed eye
Aeil = ah eel (I used to pronounce it like 'ale', go figure)
Nyneave = neye neeve
Seanchan = shawn shen

That kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I learned those from the Video Game :eek: except Nynaeve, I heard that in one of his retarded interviews. You know, Robert Jordan looks like a pimp in half of his press shots lol.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Didn't he have a pronunciation key in some of his glossaries? I know that it has been removed recently, if he had it in there...