bad performance in Deus Ex

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

|-|eretic

Mar 16, 2001
Someone has probably already posted this problem, but I couldn't seem to find a relevant thread, so I'll try myself.
I have just installed Deus Ex, and I find that when anything at all happens, like moving around at all, I get very severe slowdowns. I have installed the MP patch, and I have also very recently defragged my hard drive, and I decreased the screen resolution to 800x600. I am running a Pentium III 800 mhz with a GeForce 256, so I wouldn't have expected this kind of performance. Also, I used to play UT all the time at resolutions much higher than this, so I'm baffled.
800x600 really isn't all that much detail, and with the detail level turned all the way down (textures, etc.) I still have problems, so I'm thinking that there's something wrong with my setup. This kind of thing is not supposed to happen on a PIII 800 mhz!
Please help!