Bad looking ScreenSlideMap

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
I made a screenshot (256x128, 256 colours) which I use for a ScreenSlideMap.

Everything works, however:
When I use a Screen with this map texture, the picture looks very bad (Too much brightness and less detail. Looks more like a 16 colour picture).
However, when I use the map texture directly on the place where I want to put my Screen the picture looks like it should be.

What am I doing wrong here?

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
I've changed ScreenSlideMap->ScreenSlide->Pallette to Texture 'MyLevel.Screenshot.map' and my map colours are OK now.

However, it seems that this has created another problem:
My Red PlayerIcons have now become now become Grey???

Last edited:

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Indeed the map texture at the moment does not contain any Red.

I was under the impression Screen used the texture 'ScriptedScreen.PlayerIcons' for the player colours (which does contain Red, Blue, Green, Gold and Neutral). I must have been wrong there.

Thanks.
:cool:

Rob

Hole in one!
Nov 19, 2002
France
Visit site
'ScriptedScreen.PlayerIcons' shows how player icons will look like when players are or not invisible. Though you need to put the same colours in your maptexture (in our case red and blue).

Mychaeel

The basic problem is that Unreal Tournament's ScriptedTextures (and its textures in general) only allow one palette of 256 distinct colors; everything drawn on the ScriptedTexture can use only the colors in this palette. Colors which are not present in the palette are substituted by the "closest" one that's available; for red, that may be gray in your palette.

The "Palette" property specifies the texture whose palette of colors is used for the ScriptedTexture. The standard palette used by the ScriptedTextures that come with Screen contain a subset of all colors, but due to the limited palette size this subset has to be rather coarse.