UE3 - UT3 Bad Brush Lighting Quality

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Select BSP surface.

Press F5 (or open surface properties by rightclicking).

On the far right of the dialog box there is a dropdown box labeled Lightmap Resolution. Lower the number to 16, 8, or 4.

Rebuild lighting.

The more detailed the lightmap resolution (4 is more detailed than 8), the bigger the filesize. Don't go overboard.
EDIT: if that does not yield the results you seek, create a brush that covers the entire floor there and sink it so it's a single surface you're selecting. (sinking = adding the brush to the world on the same level as the floor, overwriting it in the BSP tree order.)

Last edited:

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
I have found that it's better to have a big additive brush and subtract from it than have 2 additive brushes joined together. May not help you in this case, but it's a good thing to know.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Thanks. I didn't know the lightmap resolutions were in the surface editor.

I'll try that out and see if that fixes those bad edges.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Is there any other way to fix these UV errors besides lowering the lightmap quality? It's a trade for good UV's and low res lightmaps.

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
The UVs for BSP shouldn't be the issue unless you do something odd. The lightmap resolution will make the biggest difference in how your shadows are displayed along with your lighting as well. UVs with BSP is just how the texture is applied to the BSP and you really can't improve this like you can with static meshes (afaik).