Back from the dead...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Presenting CTF-Atropos! NC link

This map has been in the making for 2 years now, but more recently just over a month. It comes with a whole new texture pack that is included in the zip, but for which I will shortly have a separate link.

At 2800 brushes and 1400 lights, this map is very detailed and attractive. The gameplay is great, lots of really fun possibilities. If you don't enjoy this map check your head.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 48
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
welcome back to mapping, this map was quite a surprise, nice work, easily you're best so far Chrysaor. The textures are pretty cool too, but they seem a little grainy, could be my comp tho

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
The exterior rock texture does look grainy. It looked bad at 256x256 as well, didn't find much of a work around for that. Just need a new engine. :p

Does feel good to be back, thanks. :)

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Damn, now I just gotta find the motivation to pick up the ed. I already have a map idea, layout, theme and textures planned, just can't be arsed :p

Stakhanov

Invisible Pink Unicorn
Apr 7, 2002
France - Paris 14eme
Visit site
Wow nice... now that's a comeback !

The textures are indeed a bit too detailed for the Unreal 1 engine , giving an artificial look to the outside area (sharp edges)
The rest is much more realistic and immersive ; no slowdown despite the level of detail.

Also , the map has an excellent flow. Grenades are rather dangerous here.
Capture is indeed pretty hard - minigun / sniper camping bots provide a challenging defense , and the enemy base itself is a death trap : you may kill the entire enemy team in the flagroom , but you won't make it to the exit alive without serious backup , no matter which route you take. You'll always end up with either a flak wielding bot shooting you at point blank range , or 2 enemies sandwitching you in some corridor.
Well I noticed bots don't like the upper part of the map much , and never pick the thighpads for some reason.

Quite the map still. Chrysaor , I'm sure you could do wonders in SP ;)

Reciprocity

Boots of Spanish Rubber
Apr 4, 2004
Easily one of the best CTF maps in existance.

I've been mapping for the last few days and I'm not really satisfied with the amount of detail but, upon reading your readme, specifically the line about how sometimes blank walls just work for the believablity of the place, it just sorta put that part of architecture into perspective for me. The layout weaves through 3 floors and the brushwork is on par with that of Hourences and Bot_40. The lighting was subtle and clean in a way I've never quite seen before. The texture pack is definantly a jewel. A welcome change from the Richrig industrials.

Though you did stress that a clean look is neccessary to the coherency of your very believable theme, The amount of detail here is really staggering. Atropos has redefined my thinking of the industrial theme. Anyway, it is helping me get past some mapper's block I've been having.:)

Again, awesome map. I hope to see more from you in the future.