Assassins Creed PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I never had any major combat issues with the PC version. It felt extremely fluid for me, and I could execute any move that I wanted with ease, with any weapon. I guess your problem is that the game is punishing you for your said extremely cheap combat style! :)

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
I played through it on PC and enjoyed it. I thought the controls worked nicely.

you can always buy a pc 360 controller.

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Yah only played AC with the 360 pad and that worked like a charm.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Being able to use a mouse etc. makes the game MUCH more enjoyable.

Couldn't agree less. I first tried the game with Mouse and KB and it was significantly less intuitive and enjoyable.
Especially as keyboard keys aren't analogue so straight off the bat you're missing out on a simple way of walking and running (I'm guessing you have to actually press a key to walk/run with the KB whereas with a controller you just push 'forwards' less etc.)

This is probably (and unfortunately) down to the fact that this game was made to be played on a joypad, but that's the way it is.
Also, make sure you have all the patches. Maybe that'll fix your issue.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I didn't have any problems with the control scheme. I did use my 360 controller after a while, though, because I find platform style games more fun with controllers regardless of what platform they are "designed" for.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Hopping on the "cry moar" bandwagon. I played through the game just fine, never had any irritations with the control scheme and I actually thought it was a well done console port.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I take down the first few using the above method and then Altair will suddenly draw his damn sword. :mad: Now, I haven't touched the weapon selection buttons - the only ones I touch are the WASD, Grab, Lock On and Attack keys.
I don't currently have it installed but I think it was something like this: You are not in combat. Select the hidden blade. Now lock on to someone and click attack. It switches to the sword. I don't know the reasoning behind that. I can only assume the programmers made it that way because blocking with the hidden blade is impossible and they wanted you to actually have a useful weapon in hand when you start combat.

Yes, this annoyed me too and I wish there was a way to disable it. I also used the grab & punch holes in bodies with the hidden blade tactic quite a bit. It's also annoying if you want to do counter attacks with the hidden blade (not easy, especially because you can't block, but possible and always deadly - try this out if you didn't know you can do it). At some point you get used to start fights this way: lock on, click attack (draws sword), and switch to the hidden blade. As long as you keep a lock on to someone you won't switch back to the sword. Sadly even with this there's still plenty of opportunities to stumble over this annoyance.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
The only part that felt particularly console-ish to me was the 45 step process to exit the game.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
The only part that felt particularly console-ish to me was the 45 step process to exit the game.

We on the PC had it all right though... nothing an alt-F4 couldn't take care of.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I always alt-tabbed out of the game, which makes the game windowed for that session. Then you can just X out of the game without problems. I had no save game corruption that way.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
*shrug* try checking your framerate in ut3 before and after adding say 16 bots. Skeletal meshes, line traces, decision making, none of it is cheap regardless of engine, even with 'dumb' bots

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
It's well known AC is badly optimized. I've had the game slow down to under 10FPS on the PS3 three times, and only a reset of the system could clear it. Changing areas, looking elsewhere, etc. nothing solved it. Once I hit that glitch, reset time.
And I was always under the impression that it was playing at around 20FPS the whole time on PS3, sometimes when it went at 30FPS and felt smooth again I was happy, but that's because I was doing nothing and standing in the corner of a city...
The only system which seems to be running it without troubles is the Xbox 360. There I've played it for a few minutes and I had none of this 20FPS impression, I don't know about the under 10FPS glitches though. My friend told me he had none, and my three glitches happened on the same playthrough. :/

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
It can do 1080i (And of course 720p) on PS3, but it's probably upscaled from it's internal rendering resolution. On Xbox it's upscaled by the upscaler chip so it does 1080p.
But Assassin's Creed is not the best example of a multiplatform title in that respect. The job they did with Prince of Persia was much better, I had no problems at all and it plays in 1080p on both systems (Same engine as Assassin's Creed I heard...)

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
Here is another odd thing:

DX9 in Windows 7 on my rig:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9792/acdx91.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

DX10 in Windows 7 on my rig:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/3311/acdx101.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

DX9 in Windows XP x64 on my brothers rig:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7183/acdx9b2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

How has he managed to get that HDR effect in that window in DX9 XP, when I can only get it in DX10 Win7?

Here is another example, notice the candles:

DX9 in Windows 7 on my rig:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4993/acdx92.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

DX10 in Windows 7 on my rig:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/2636/acdx102.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

DX9 in Windows XP x64 on my brothers rig:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5980/acdx9b1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Settings for each test were identical, aside from his res being 1600x1200 vs my 1920x1080 and me having 4xAA while he has none.

Can someone running AC on WinXP post a shot for comparison?

Before I do that whats your GFX card.