UE3 - UT3 Arcade Helicopter Shooter project looking for coders

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DazJW

Mar 25, 2008
Hi folks, I'm looking to find some coding staff for a project I've had in mind for a while. Even if you're not interested I'd like people's opinions on any extra information I should concentrate on when attempting to recruit coders.

The project is for Unreal Engine 3, I've got a document going for it which I've attached in .pdf form.

The document currently contains the overview (which I've posted below to save downloading), aswell as information on player craft, enemy craft and level outlines.
I do have some thoughts on things beyond the document's contents aswell as some more detailed ideas on levels but I've tried to get basic outlines in there to avoid people having to read an even bigger wall of text that is already there.

Overview from Document said:
An arcade shooter featuring 3rd person behind view (movement in up, down, left and right) and top-down view (movement in forward, backward, left and right) sections. The player craft will always be moving forward to some degree unless the player activates the break.
The player takes control of the Bobcat helicopter gunship¹* to battle hostile land, sea and air forces in a campaign of five levels across different environments.
Hopefully Pilot-Gunner cooperative play will feature, where one player controls the helicopter’s flight and a second player is in charge of the weapons systems.
Competitive multiplayer, using a 3rd person view, may also feature provided a satisfactory multiplayer balance system (or a different multiplayer solution) can be achieved. Standard multiplayer gametypes should all be implementable, aswell as some others I have in mind, though multiplayer is secondary to implementing the single player.

¹* The Bobcat is the default of a few helicopters available, but the other designs will require unlocking prior to use. They are discussed in the Player Craft section.

I intend to handle the player craft art (I've got the C.a.S.P.A. model done and ingame with temporary coding and materials, aswell as an unfinished Bobcat model) and most likely the maps.
I'm undecided on the enemy art at the moment, it depends on how long the other stuff takes to do. I can certainly manage the enemy art aswell given the time but an extra artist would obviously get it done faster. The enemy craft need concepts too as I don't have definite visual ideas for them but I can recruit art staff at a later date.

I'm currently tied up until mid-May with university work and unable to do anything further than the stuff I already have done, but I'm posting now as I can hopefully secure someone(s) and get some stuff ready for graphics to be inserted by the time I'm available.
Once it hits mid-May I'm free until October and can go into overdrive with working on this.

What I really need is a coder (or coding team) to produce the coding required (in broad terms: the two camera angles for the helicopters, weapon coding, player craft handling, the enemy craft behaviour and whatever turns out to be required - which is obviously a big ask but they are the core of the project and I can't do anything beyond pretty basic copy paste coding.

Last edited:

Pfhoenix

Programmer Extraordinaire
Dec 17, 1999
mep.beyondunreal.com
I absolutely loved Steel Talons.

I worked on a helicopter arcade-style mod for UT2004 prior to a system crash that wiped out months of work :

gunship-ss7.jpg

Showing the newer explosion types. The kicked up plumes slowly faded and drifted apart.

gunship-ss8.jpg

Shows the accurate modeling of flight behavior of a hellfire missile.

gunship-ss9.jpg

Showing the heading bar and directional indicators to important objects. The H is the player's helipad.

gunship-ss10.jpg

When landed, and when first starting the map, players could go into the loadout window and select the weapons they wanted in each slot. Information was given for each weapon.

gunship-ss11.jpg

Right before the Big Crash where nearly all development was lost, enemy turrets relied on radar sources to know where the player was. The radar source could be internal or linked to another radar source object. This showed the functionality of enemy turret behavior.

The following link is a video I made during an early test. No enhanced explosions, no enemy turrets, no fancy HUD; the control scheme is largely mouse-based - moving the mouse directly tilted the heli which then accelerated the player horizontally based on the degree of tilt. Not a realistic model, but definitely good enough for an arcade simulation : gunship_demo.avi

Are you looking for realistic flight model or a very simple, arcade-friendly flight model? Do you intend to support multiplayer (pvp gametypes and co-op missions)? I could conceivably be motivated to work up a control scheme, physics model, some basic weapon modularity support, even a radar system that enemies use. My Gunship mod concept was intended to support single player and co-op missions, as well as a random mission generator. If you want some help from me on this, I might be inclined to do so with one caveat - I will not do UI for UT3 until Epic makes it less painful.

Smokin

Nov 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Hi, i would love to help out with mapping if Pfhoenix screenshots are what you are going after as i have been wanting to create a mod like this for awhile now.