UE1 - UT Any good tutorials or suggestions for a beam weapon?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rajada

Jan 21, 2008
rajada.tumblr.com
I'm looking to create a weapon that functions somewhat like the Lightning Gun in UT 2004 but for a UT engine. I'd like to be able to fire it (consumes one ammo), have a sustained beam for about 1-2 seconds that can move as the weapon moves (retraces per tick or something) and burns away health slowly if it touches a pawn (a full second of touching would do something like 40-50 damage). Almost like a weaponized magnifying glass. :D

Can anyone point me to a UT based example, tutorial or download that I could use as a starting block?

Rajada

Jan 21, 2008
rajada.tumblr.com
Pulse Gun secondary fire.

Of course, I totally forgot about that one, I'll take a look into it. But what about ammo consumption? I would like this weapon to have shots that are spaced apart, (like a shot per second) but continuously fire for that entire second without needing to hold down fire.

In other words, one shot depletes a charge that shoots a laser or beam for a full second.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I made a healing gun once out of the pulse alt fire. It took about an evening to sort the alt fire code out (the way it "feeds" out and how the beams stays oriented to the muzzle). It should be no problem to make exactly what you want out of it. I considered making the lightning gun but there are already any number of sniper type rifles, but no team-friendly healing guns so I went that route.

Took about two days total but the weapon has new particles for regular fire that will damage enemies and an alt-fire that will heal if you 'sweep' it across someone and hold it on them. They even get a HUD pop-up to tell them what's going on because in testing people got pissy about teamshooting (when they didn't understand). You even get points for healing someone.

Last edited: