Annoyances with readme file names

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nimbostratus

Aug 12, 2004
New Jersey, USA
When I download maps and go to place them on my harddrive, I noticed that there's tons of maps with readmes named "readme.txt" This gets rather annoying since I prefer to save the readme files just in case there's anything I want to know about a map later on (or just want to read something out of pure boredom). I could understand it if naming a readme file was something extremely difficult, but it isn't. All ya have to do is type the name of your map again. :stick:

Is anyone else bothered by this?

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Nimbostratus said:
When I download maps and go to place them on my harddrive, I noticed that there's tons of maps with readmes named "readme.txt" This gets rather annoying since I prefer to save the readme files just in case there's anything I want to know about a map later on (or just want to read something out of pure boredom). I could understand it if naming a readme file was something extremely difficult, but it isn't. All ya have to do is type the name of your map again. :stick:

LoL if I saved all the readme's It would be quite a disaster,you might have to do your own file naming system there.
Cause I don't think your gonna get your wish,heh :404:

Last edited:

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
the readme generator was original rewritting with this flaw... but after suggestions by staff, it was changed so that readme filename would be the filename of the map.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
It's always been pretty much a tradition to name your readme with the exact same name as your map. IE CTF-Dave.unr = CTF-Dave.txt
I normally extract both readmes to my maps folder, then I have the 2 files right next to each other and it's all good. If someone can't manage to name the readme right then I simply don't read it.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, what I'd appreciate mappers would add to their "readme":
Specify which files are part of the map!

Don't type anything like this when you have several utx, uax and umx files for you map:

put the utx files in your texture directory
put the uax files " """

etc...

SPECIFY :O)

It's not that hard to do, is it?

For example:

put mehcoolbricktex.utx in the textures folder
put lolkewltune.umx in the music folder
put aaarggggg.uax in the sounds folder

Because really, when you collect (or have collected) tons of maps those folders tend to get real messy. And you tend to forget which files are for which map etc...
(yeah yeah there's always unrealed, but adding this info to the readme would really be appreciated...)

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Yes NeoNight,very good,makes sense,It actualy helps the map,helps file confusion years later,and makes the readme usefull,than just stuff....................................................................................

And Eexept,I have tons of textures,tons,and i did not have anc.utx
i have nalpali installed,all bonus packs,exidia gold,and tons of stuff from servers and downloaded maps,yours was the first of wich that "common" texture file that was'nt there.

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
Then you must have mist Lastcrusade, because it uses anc2 anc3 and even anc4 I believe and not to forget the well-known chicosruinspack. The anc pack is full of great textures wich are a bit to dark though, and if you've played my map you should've had anc2. Not placing the numbers behind the anc in my earlier comment was, because I was talking about the whole series of anc.

And I'm not sure who has most, because I'm to lazy to remove every crap texture I got from dld maps and fool myself I might need it in the futur. I've got around 312 texture packages.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
I have got 535 maps,wich includes all the unreal,MH(not all) and DK for coop
and 358 textures wich anc is in there now hehe.
give or take about 15 for stuff I did that is not used or sitting there

When I first tried lastcrusader way back wich was okl,but just to slow or too dark or somthing,not a good level for playing,but you know me,the better it looks don't make it a keeper.

Last edited:

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
Bot_40 said:
I have 225 umx files :con:

Now that's impressive, I've just got 142, but I've got eneogh choice for now.
I can't really count my number of maps, because I start dld maps from the zip and all my dld maps are scattered on my HD, but the benefit is it's always fun to go through my HD and see things you never thought they were there.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, it was merely some constructive feedback it was no stab at any mapper.
That wasn't the intention of my previous post :O)

It would certainly help, adding in detail which files are needed for the map.

Anyway, ho boy ho boy ho boy :D
Maps, maps, maps..

Must've tried up to 1500 already...including mh,onp,xidia, utlnp (rtnp for ut coop) etc..
Currently there are 700 left I think..
(crazy ain't it.. I ..;-)...)

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
ReD_Fist said:
Yes NeoNight,very good,makes sense,It actualy helps the map,helps file confusion years later,and makes the readme usefull,than just stuff....................................................................................

And Eexept,I have tons of textures,tons,and i did not have anc.utx
i have nalpali installed,all bonus packs,exidia gold,and tons of stuff from servers and downloaded maps,yours was the first of wich that "common" texture file that was'nt there.

... that goes to show what 'kind' of maps you have :p ...

ALSO, i keep the ZIPs, save the best to eventually burn in CD to add to UT library later in time. I only read READMEs when i'm reviewing, or when out of curiosity, when the map grabs my attention for a reason or another - even that i just open ZIP and open README. Never extract READMEs o_0. Besides, most READMEs are uninteresting. Almost all say nothing you don't already know, and a better part are just generic, generated READMEs...

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
well normally only time I download a map is when I have the intention of writting some feedback after I tried it, in which case there may well be usefull information (such as bugs that the author already knows about etc...)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nimbostratus said:

hemm ..

NO!

readme files are there to show the credit and somme detail about the map , if selecting it and tap 'DELETE' is anoying for you

mapping is 40X times worst! friend

Last edited: