Anime

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Agentsmith: Agreed that anime has it's discrepencies, but I strongly prefer those to the typical american superhero/heroine/mutant/pulp fiction cartoons.

Even the best examples ai:Spawn, can't hold a candle to OAVs such as Akira, Appleseed or Nausicaa(Warriors of the wind).

Of course, i refer to the more serious MA and above rated animes. Pokemon?! *ugh*

Chand

Feb 16, 2000
LR, AR, US
www.planetchandler.com
Ok now... are we so bored that we gotta start comparing Japanese and American anime ? American anime doesn't stand a chance. Historically, Looney Tunes are great, but the crap starts from Hanna-Barbera on...in the 60's.

And of course, the lowest point was the 80's... AgentSmith, if you want to talk abour c-rate artwork, then let's talk about Transformers (first season), G.I.Joe, Gobots, He-Man, She-Ra and the countless clones. The drawing style is the same in all of them, storylines are so badly serialized that they suck completely (i.e. good guys ALWAYS win 2 minutes before the end, to leave some time left to the moral of the story a'la He-Man), the layering of the characters against the backdrop is horrible and awful and it was so easy to spot looping backdrops all the time...

Japanese animation, though it shares with american the own art style and drawing guidelines between different stories (i.e., He-Man looks like She-Ra looks like Transformers looks like G.I.Joe, etc... Akira looks like GitS looks like well, anything japanese)... but the thing with anime is that , except some cases, at least *tries* to strive for art and style. American anime never did that (the rain sequence in the middle of GitS is a perfect example).

Briefly, I believe that Japanes anime is all about art, action and storyline. American anime is all about dumbed-down, kiddie funny stuff (with exception, of course...don't flame me).

I still have to see some american anime with a decent, intelligent storyline on tv.

I sayeth....

------------------
This is your brain...
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON INF... (bold /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

[This message has been edited by Chand (edited 04-09-2000).]

deathren

Dusty ****er.
Nov 26, 1999
Anchorage, Alaska
I like Digimon

------------------
"Out of darkness,
Out of Mind, Cast down into the halls of the blind!"
-The book of the blind, Game Diablo