*anger*

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
So there I was, with my nearly-finished Seekers Pack. Everything was falling into place. I looked for any final bugs to iron out.

Ah, the mechgun. It's colour\skin properties get mucked up when you pick up other items. This bug had bothered me right since the beginning, all those years ago. Oh, I could remember all the time I spent hiding in the shadows, watching the bug, hoping it would just disappear.

Finally I decided that things would change. I would destroy that bug - even if it meant redesigning the entire Mechgun code. I was prepaired to do anything.

Armed with my mighty weapon (WOTgreal), the diseased code fell easily away. I cut through those functions and operators as if they were made of firm but light marshmellow.

But I was not there to destroy. As I eliminated the old code, I replaced it with state-of-the-art technology. Armed with another year of experience, I was confident that I could rebuild it. I could make it better than it was.

There were sacrifices, oh yes. Many. The code had to be seperated, yet again. I wished it could be kept together but I had not the skill or knowledge to accomidate all the functions in one file. And there were risks. The entire colony now depended on exteral forces for its very survival. If the Seekplayerinfo had failed to spawn, the Mechgun would be crippled.

Finally the long, dark process was complete. It did not take long to conqure UCC and in less than 15 minutes I had edited my code to be digestable by this strange and powerful creature.

It was finally ready. The physical manifestation of all my effort, all my training and skill. It was over, at last. But wait. It must be tested.

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Well, Mr someguy, if that is your real name, next time I'll rant the way you want me to rant! Let's just follow your specification to the letter, shall we? I'll... I'll... dammit, real ranting is hard.

*runs off*

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
not all rantsa/raves must be psychotic. They me be subtle and epic such as presented in DragonFly's piece here. I rather enjoyed his approach. Then again, I can identify with it as a coder.... As someguy cannot... I know the struggle and the victory cycle of coding .... I know it well.

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
The problem is, that rant shall remain forever unfinished, because before I could write the super-grumpy OH MY GOD I'LL HAVE TO START THE ENTIRE THING ALL OVER AGAIN part I actually got the stupid thing working.

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Explosions = good.

Are guns that produce insane numbers of explosions cool?
(For example, my Dissembler or Chaos Trap)

Having been criticized by locals, I've made moves to decrease my Random Explosion Count. For an example, I removed the shockwave the is produced after using the Dissembler's alternate fire mode. This leaves the fire mode much tidier and lets you see the dissappear effect without disruption.

What are random explosions? A fun way to kill stuff, or signs of poor (and lazy) coding (and thinking)? Should we as weapon manufactures strive to kill people in more original ways?

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Look at the Kill-o-Matic, no one complaned there(well perhaps the bots did, but not for long)

Overkill is nice when it is used in the right context

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
*Is convinced*

I guess I'll leave out the super-cool features that I had planned, then... :)

Next Question:
Yesterday I got an e-mail (email, Email, eMail?) from someone asking about using the Seekers Pack in multiplayer. Now, that was the first time I've heard from anyone who tryed to play a network game with it. But according to the rules of communication, for everyone who tells you about something there must be a whole lot who don't, right?

*Stops ranting*

Is it worth learning to do network code and put network code in all our little mods, or don't people care? In a new version of a mod, would you rather have a new gun or network code?

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I've been wondering about the same thing for BH. Kangus and I tried it online and 2 or 3 other people joined, one of which wanted to know where they could get the mod. I'd say at least give it a try. I think playing against people is significantly more fun than against bots (especialy with BH).

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
*Is convinced again*

Cool. That would be cool. Mebbe I'll give this network code a shot then... how easy is it? I look at things like the guided redeemer's replication and I get scared.

Ooh, I've got a beta for ya.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I've been reading the tut at Chimeric and I think I might be beginning to understand, but I'm not sure. Stupid network blarg...

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
I agree. I think bots should always be the first priority. Some people (e.g. 56kers from rural areas in New Zealand) never actually play UT online... but people wouldn't play one mod offline if they could be playing another online, would they?