An odd Onslaught bug...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Morter

Commando
Dec 24, 2001
Visit site
I dunno why, but for some reason, the ESC menu for Onslaught translates into Pause. The game gets paused whenever I press ESC and whenever I die [which would normally go into that "Select Node" portion of the ESC menu].

Anyway to fix this? I think this started happening like..2-3 patches ago. It's been going on for a while, but I haven't played Onslaught till that recent map pack came out.

*sigh*

Can someone help me out? =|

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Actually it's always happened. When you're playing Single Player or Instant Action, when you press Esc to go to the menu in any gametype, the game will Pause. This includes ONS when you die, unless you choose a preferred spawn point, I think. However, if you stand on a node and Use it (to teleport to another node), the game does not pause.

Random Elite

Put your feet up and frag.
Jul 9, 2005
Earth
If the game is set to pause (via Esc menu) 'When Body Lies Still', yes the action will pause as you choose where to spawn, a tactic not to be over looked.

Morter

Commando
Dec 24, 2001
Visit site
No no no...guys...you don't get it.

I know that in a Single Player match, the game pauses in any menu.

But what I'm telling you is that in Onslaught, I no longer GET that menu. Whenever I press Escape, it just says "PAUSED" in big white letters, as if I had just pressed the pause button. The same thing when I die. The only way I can access the "Choose which node to spawn from" menu is if I go to a node and press Use.

So yes, whenever I die, the game just stops and says "Paused", and I have to press the pause button to resume the game. It doesn't show me the ESC menu [where you select nodes, etc], the scoreboard, nothing.

Now do you understand...? =|

Last edited:

Random Elite

Jul 9, 2005
Earth
Oh, try looking in Main Menu ---> Settings ---> Input ---> Keybinding (something like that) and fix it via that way. If it still persisits reinstall.

Morter

Commando
Dec 24, 2001
Visit site
Random Elite said:
Oh, try looking in Main Menu ---> Settings ---> Input ---> Keybinding (something like that) and fix it via that way. If it still persisits reinstall.

I can't check right now, but I'm pretty sure it's not any keybinding problems because Onslaught is the only gametype I have in which the Escape menu translates into a plain pause. In CTF, DM, etc, I'd still the menu..

Random Elite

Jul 9, 2005
Earth
Well then uninstall, reboot, and reinstall is the only thing I can suggest.
Someone with more expertise may offer a quicker and easier solution.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
After the uninstall but before reinstalling, it would also be a good idea to delete the UT2004 folder to remove anything that might be left over. That way you'll be sure to get a clean reinstall.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Strange bug...I can't think of what it might be, but reinstalling is just the last option. What happens if you type "showmenu" in the console (in onslaught, of course)?

And "that recent map pack"...You're talking about Epic's Mega pack, right? If so...that comes with the latest patch :hmm: Did you have the ECE bonus pack installed before installing this pack?

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
My only suggestion is to reinstall the latest patch, and remove or rename UT2004.ini and User.ini. Reinstalling will not do more than this.

Last edited:

Morter

Commando
Dec 24, 2001
Visit site
Taleweaver said:
Strange bug...I can't think of what it might be, but reinstalling is just the last option. What happens if you type "showmenu" in the console (in onslaught, of course)?

And "that recent map pack"...You're talking about Epic's Mega pack, right? If so...that comes with the latest patch :hmm: Did you have the ECE bonus pack installed before installing this pack?

I meant the Titan Onslaught map pack...