AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I stumbled on this today. If any of you are Metroid fans (I'm sure some are) you should definitely keep an eye on this project.

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

It's not finished yet, but a decent portion of the Metroid 2 map is playable, and what he has finished so far is pretty awesome! The quality of the game is at least as good as Super Metroid/Fusion/Zero Mission, and borrows some things from all three. There are also some new bosses.

Be warned that it will end abruptly once you reach a certain point. The game will just stop and show a black screen that says "Demo End" and the credits will roll. It took me about an hour and a half to get to that point.

Still, it's definitely worth playing in it's current state.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I've heard about it but haven't tried it. I don't know if I would like it though, there's no need to pollute the dark and gritty experience with mzm manga styled stuff. I'd settle for the gameboycolor version if it was ever released or if the planned 3d sidescroller remake by Retro was made. I believe that would have been more than decent homage. I'm not sure how this looks though and can't check any pics for the moment either, but I largely ignored this before. After my laptop broke the only games I ended up playing/completing was original Metroid and Metroid 2, I didn't feel like playing any of the others again. I believe everyone should play the originals and not on an emulator using "rom" files (because there are always behaviorial differences and "timing" issues not to mention the controls are so much smoother with the originals). There are even GBA ports of the original metroid, be it the one included with zero mission or some loose ones that were released with certain magazines and what not.
Because I can't see pics/videos please don't tell me this is so brightly cartoony graphics like metroid zero mission. If that's the case i'd rather....well nevermind
If there's to be a Metroid 2 remake it needs to be more realistic/gritty remake and not some cartoon show for kids. I wonder what the new "minibosses" are supposed to be then. And I wonder how that won't upset the game flow and if they'll make sense. Please no random ghosts-like creatures like super metroid phantoon anymore. The only "miniboss" in Metroid 2 was Arachnus basically, the rest are the Metroid fights an the final queen fight at the end. There's no need for lame minibosses all over the place.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Hope I didn't kill the thread..I mean this is fan stuff anyway, and I'm not even sure how it looks because I didn't look. If it was something official I would be probably displeased though because applying zero mission stuff on metroid 2 is just the wrong way around imo.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It looks interesting. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing the demo yet, but based on the comparison video shown my first thought was that it was Super Metroid. Looks like a fairly well done conversion, I couldn't tell if assets were borrowed from the GBA Metroids or copied very closely, but I did very much like how the Alpha and Gamma phase Metroid looked. Even when I had a Gameboy color in the house I preferred to play Metroid 2 in black and white, and I like to think of it like that. But I understand why people would want to remake or play this in a more post Super Metroid style and this certainly looks very good.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Where are some actual screenshots of this btw? Don't want youtube videos, just to download some screenshots and look at them elsewhere.