Aimview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Loved RA286 probably because I understood what you guys were doing. Also I find it odd that many of those against the whole thing don't seem to be around anymore.

Cleeus[JgKdo]

because respawns suck
Jun 8, 2002
Germany
www.cleeus.de
The Problem i see is that any zoom for the iron sight weapons destroys the gamebalance. The maps we have were designed with this strange FOV and scaling in mind, if now suddenly the FOV is correct, the maps should be much too small.

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
I dislike AimView too, for the reasons stated by Ant. I *could* see the interest of such a feature if we were playing in onslaught-sized maps, but certainly not for the average Inf ranges, it's just shortening the distances which are not that great.

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
Wow, did you notice how nobody even had a reply to Duke or Ben? I guess we could just bring that up to shut people's mouths.

Edit: Upon deeper reading of Ben's post, I can safely say that Aimview is a mutie and not a gametype as Toad's work involved significant other changes such as ballistics (I think?) and gravity.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
Point taken Taque. I won't trouble you to read parts of that horrible thread but much of the discussion was around the FOV if I recall correctly.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Taque, the fact that certain people did not post in this thread to bitch about aimview doesn't prove that they changed their mind about the alt-fire zoom. Anyway that's not the subject here, please stop being so resentful and let the discussion continue.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
ant75 my concern is not about aim view itself, and yes I know I am off topic. My concern right now is the total disregard and respect for a valued member of the community for something he tried to do back in December and the acceptance of basicly the same thing now because it is "official". To take it even further the same attitude continues against other members of the community that try to bring something to INF. I feal that is a concern to us all.

BTW Taque, myself and others have a damn good reason to be resentful about this topic.

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
My 0.02 euro cents:
I disliked the zoom feature in ra286, so I stated it. I disliked the "gunsight" feature in TrueScale, so I stated it again. I now dislike the zoom feature of AimView, and I state it again. See, I don't care whether it's SS, Duke, Toad, yourself or your sister that made it, it's still something I don't like.
Now, I don't think there's a general conspiracy/ hatred/grudge against anybody, nor that the current mutator is widely accepted ATM (time will tell). Community members' work is appreciated and valued, but also criticized (I agree, sometimes in a rude and uncivil manner), as SS' was and still is on a regular basis.
Ben, about your question (which I hadn't seen, sorry, got buried quickly), the zoom is lesser in AimView than it was in TrueScale.

Cleeus[JgKdo]

because respawns suck
Jun 8, 2002
Germany
www.cleeus.de
o_dogg said:
My 0.02 euro cents:
I disliked the zoom feature in ra286, so I stated it. I disliked the "gunsight" feature in TrueScale, so I stated it again. I now dislike the zoom feature of AimView, and I state it again. See, I don't care whether it's SS, Duke, Toad, yourself or your sister that made it, it's still something I don't like.
ditto

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
I try all mutaties (as stated pretty much in the 2nd post of this thread) and give them online time. I vaule all coders/mappers work. I may dislike them but I will try them out (if I know about them).

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
o-dogg I do not have a problem with people not liking something and clearly stating so and pointing out why they don't like something does help. Also there are those who did that and I respect their opinions. If that was all that occured I would not be posting all this. Things went a whole lot further than that though.

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
I know that Ben, we both agree on what constructive criticism is. All I was trying to say is that community coders/mappers/etc are equally treated and respected as SS members, and therefore stupidly being thrown sh*t in the face from time to time for no reason.
Now, things may have gone beyond reasonable limits and gotten nasty, I don't know as I haven't witnessed them in this case, I can undestand your bitterness but I'm sure the right solution is not to hold ancient grudges, but to let it go and move on.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
I hope this is my last post on this subject. The point I am trying to make, and this can be carried over to the other thread, is that this is not history. The mutator name may change but the problem is still there. This is about the here and now using a past example of what will happen if people don't adjust there aditude torwards people trying to bring something for the community. We have lost talented people, people who try to contribute, simply because they spend more time having to deal with the bull**** in order to hear the worth while opinions from people like yourself. That should be a concern for you.

People then wonder why some of the developers are so hostile in their response. Hell I am amazed they are as polite as they are.

Anyways I think I have run this topic to ground so unless someone else brings something up I feel I need to respond I will.

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
Ok I got your point. I agree the way devs are treated is a shame, that it harms the community and the game, and I hope people will change their attitude towards them and pay them the respect they deserve, even if for some reason I'm pessimistic about it.
Sorry for the OT excursion, sub-topic closed for me.

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
In my defense, here, I wasn't berating you guys for constructively critisizing the mutator. Like it or not, that's fine with me. I was more resentful because of the past, and no, I will not let it go until the politics drop. I'm not about to actively rant on it at every chance, but suffice to say that the whole thing was pure BS.

For the record, I didn't like it just simply because it took away my range of vision, making me more vulnerable to people who I'd normally be able to see.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I have never liked the aim-zoom feature in whatever form is was. However, I still supported the work of toad and duke. Even though I didn't like some features in their mutators, I was still VERY excited about the work they were doing, especially in regard to INF's movement.

I see the work of all INF developers as a chance to improve and expand the game. Some muties may crash and burn, but thats not the point. The goal of them all is to make INF more enjoyable, a goal that anyone can appreciate.

--RE Toad:
It was unfortunate that Toad tried to introduce the first mutie to change INF's gameplay at a time when 2.9 was still very new. If he were to come back and try again now, I think he'd find that the INF community is much more accepting of changes to INF's gameplay.