Addon Idea - No jail switch releases......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Yes you did read that right. How about an addon that means you cannot release your team by pressing the switch.
Heres how it works. Both teams start as normal (or in random places) and go and kill each other. When there is atleast one person in each jail they have an arena match straight away. The player who wins the match's whole team gets released. So the only way you can release your team is by winning the arena match. Who is in the match would be decided on the first people put in jail. This would bring in tactics of the best player suiciding so he would win the arena match stopping the other team from getting out of jail.
What dya think?

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
good idea. I really dunno how it would play, but it's a good idea indeed. Me coding? Not yet, I'm still having the custom celebration line addon as a project, so till then I gotta let this go (unless someone can create a nice addon GUI with a checkbox (unchecked by default) and a textbox (disabled by default). The rest I should be able to handle by myself ;))

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
/
bump.gif

anyone who likes/doesn't like it or has any additional ideas?

RabidZombie

Freshly Removed Brains at half price!
Apr 29, 2004
Nice idea, again, kokrull could test it :p

at first i had a bit of a prob understnding what it meant but i understand now and i am looking forward!

It will, however, loose the desire to leave your base unless you need a weapon, for instance castlebreak you can get weapons around base then run back unless you want to attack

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
RabidZombie said:
It will, however, loose the desire to leave your base unless you need a weapon, for instance castlebreak you can get weapons around base then run back unless you want to attack
I see you didn't read the bit about spawning in random places in the map (ie in each others bases)

RabidZombie

Freshly Removed Brains at half price!
Apr 29, 2004
The_Head said:
I see you didn't read the bit about spawning in random places in the map (ie in each others bases)

:crazydance: <-- Me
:stupid: <-- The_Head

I read it... jsut forgot about it when posting... how stupid can a guy get?

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Sounds interesting! "Proving Grounds" sounds like a good name too, while "Always Arena" sounds a bit weird to me. ;)

What exactly will happen for maps with no arena, like JB-Snifam? :)

The two easy options would be:
  • If there is no arena then have a normal game with normal switches. The check could be made by seeing if a map has a JBInfoArena in it or not.
  • If you go to jail then you stay there, kind of like a Last Man Standing Jailbreak game.

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
Arena Annihilation :D

It's a good idea though, I would love it if this was made :)
I don't agree on the random placement though. Keep the bases. But then this promotes basecamping...

how about another addon that gives each release switch a sphere that increases in size (not fast though), and kills everyone that touches it. This would force players to get out of the way ;) . When a team is released, that team's sphere is reset. Yeah I know this is a bit drastic, but it could be fun :D

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I've been thinking more on this idea... What would you do if you're the last free player? I'd definitely hide in the darkest corner of the map and with a bit of luck an ArenaMatch will start... I don't like idea of the Switches being totally useless, Jailbreak maps are meant to do their best with objectives. Players having an objective to attack, trying to catch the LFP before he/she gets the switch, or trying to take the switch by dodging like crazy it you're the LFP are things that make JB unlike LMS, so I wouldn't take them out if possible... ;)
To sum up... Why not ArenaMatches happen only when a player reaches the enemy switch? :D

Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
G.Lecter said:
I've been thinking more on this idea... What would you do if you're the last free player? I'd definitely hide in the darkest corner of the map and with a bit of luck an ArenaMatch will start... I don't like idea of the Switches being totally useless, Jailbreak maps are meant to do their best with objectives.

I don't know how we'd make the bots work without the switches.

But yeah, this is starting to get too complicated...

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
It's obviously been a while since I coded in Uscript...

Code:
Analyzing...
Parsing JBProvingGround
Compiling JBProvingGround
Importing Defaults for JBProvingGround
General protection fault!

History: CreateCacheFileName <- NewItems <- UCacheManager::SaveNewPackages <- ExportCachePackages <- UMakeCommandlet::Main

Exiting due to error

complete class is:

Code:
// ============================================================================
// JBProvingGround
// Copyright 2006 by Jailbreak
// $Id$
// Disables switches. Arena fights run whenever possible. Arena win frees team.

class JBProvingGround extends JBAddon;

// Variables

var() const editconst string Build;

DefaultProperties
{
  Build="%%%%-%%-%% %%:%%"
  FriendlyName="Proving Grounds"
  Description="The switches are locked down, and your team-mates can't save you. Your only hope is to do battle in the arena. Victory assures your entire team is released."
}

someone take pity on me and tell me the really obvious thing I've screwed up .... :(

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
If there are no switches shouldn't the bots basically behave like Deathmatch bots?

And even with the best path layout possible, bots probably wouldn't find a human player hidden in some darkest corner. The only way around that would be to allow bots to cheat :(

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
tarquin said:
It's obviously been a while since I coded in Uscript...

Code:
Analyzing...
Parsing JBProvingGround
Compiling JBProvingGround
Importing Defaults for JBProvingGround
General protection fault!

History: CreateCacheFileName <- NewItems <- UCacheManager::SaveNewPackages <- ExportCachePackages <- UMakeCommandlet::Main

Exiting due to error

complete class is:

Code:
// JBProvingGround
// Copyright 2006 by Jailbreak
// $Id$
// Disables switches. Arena fights run whenever possible. Arena win frees team.

class JBProvingGround extends JBAddon;

// Variables

var() const editconst string Build;

DefaultProperties
{
  Build="%%%%-%%-%% %%:%%"
  FriendlyName="Proving Grounds"
  Description="The switches are locked down, and your team-mates can't save you. Your only hope is to do battle in the arena. Victory assures your entire team is released."
}

someone take pity on me and tell me the really obvious thing I've screwed up .... :(

It compiles here..

about bots working without objectives: can't you make them be act like bots in an Arena match?

/Coding To-Do List updated

Last edited: