UE1 - UT Adding a layer of colored fog around a glowing Skaarj

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JH24

Mar 12, 2008
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been getting back into Unreal again and I'm really loving it. The game has an atmosphere I not often experience anymore in modern games.

About a week or two ago I wanted to try out the editor. I have Unreal and UT installed from the Anthology boxset and after comparing the editors from both games I picked Unreal Editor 2.0 from UT because it felt more stable to work with.

I'm working on a small map just for fun, and I've added a few Skaarj in it. Because the map is a bit dark I wanted to have the same kind of glowing Skaarj seen in the Unreal singleplayermap "ExtremeDark", the level after you destroyed the power generator.

I've managed to give the Skaarj a green or blue firetexture, set them to "Bunlit" and "Bmeshenviromap", made them transparent/modulated, added colored lightning on them and a light radius. It works very well and it looks great, especially the green IMHO. But I noticed that some Skaarj in "ExtremeDark" also have a layer of colored (green or blue) fog around them.

I've used the settings under "Lightning" (part of the Actor Properties) and set them to "VolumeBrightness" 6 "VolumeFog" 0 (The same setting as in "ExtremeDark") and "VolumeRadius"" 5. But it doesn't work. Have I overlooked something?

I did found out that when placing a new Skaarj in "ExtremeDark" and entering those abovementioned settings that the fog does appear, but it doesn't seem to work in other levels.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a main setting that must be activated first before I can use settings like "VolumeBrightness"? The glowing Skaarj already looks very nice without the fog but if it is possible I would love to add that feature on them.

My sincere thanks to everyone who can help me with this.

JH24

Last edited:

JH24

Mar 12, 2008
The problem is solved. I had indeed overlooked something. To view the fog added to a Skaarj or something else I had to go to "View" in the main menu, select "Level Properties", go to "ZoneInfo" and set "BFogZone" to true.

JH24

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Either that or you can add a zoneinfo and change the zoneinfo in that specific zone to bfogzone, so that way fog isn't produced outside of that zone. :)