A thread about the ending, spoilers abound

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
I can't really think of a decent game ending from the recent releases we had. Except maybe CoD4.
Cryostasis, the game is a bit on the average side but the story and the way it was presented are the best I've seen in years.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
I was a bit confused with Atlas suddenly appearing after you get the first piece of the artifact. Isn't the planet owned by Dahl?

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
So either the Eridians are allied with that Devourer thing or something, or they were trying to prevent you from letting him out. I haven't figured that bit out.

It says in the "official" strategy guide that the Eridians sacrificed their entire civilization in order to contain The Destroyer in their little inter-dimensional "Vault". Beyond that we really don't know much. Oh, except that those Eridian things you fight near the end aren't actual Eridians, they're more like robot guards. Or something. Who really cares, they're so crappy it's no wonder their race was convinced a gigantic vagina was going to destroy the universe. :lol:

Oh and as for Angel... there are three prevailing theories about that one:

1. She's some kind of AI. This is largely based on the satellite thing at the end of the game. Also, someone said that they saw Angels face in Claptraps eye right before he was "activated" at the end. Haven't seen that one myself though. Anyways, how Angel knew what was in the vault is a mystery, so either she's some kind of Eridian virus or she's discovered something elsewhere that told her of the Vault's secret. This theory is largely supported by the fact that Angel states late in the game that the vault will not open again in OUR lifetime, and then soon after changes it to YOUR lifetime. Clearly she is something with a lifespan well beyond 200 years. Another supporting tidbit (though this may simply be trivia) is that the satellite you see at the end of the game has the designation "4N631", which when converted from l33t reads "Angel". Coincidence?

2. She's an Eridian, hijacking the satellite to watch over you. The problem with this theory is that she has/can still contact you without the aid of technology. Before you even get your HUD device, she appears to you. Oddly though, when the network is shut down she states that she cannot see you, and that "we are flying blind, friend". This mix-up of both reliance on and independence from technology really throws a monkey wrench in the works.

3. She's actually Patricia Tannis. Or more likely, Patricia Tannis after she's been possessed or otherwise infected by some trinket of Eridian technology. The main theory behind this one is that Angel seems to trust Tannis implicitly. Also, the two of them never repeat eachother's advice. If Tannis tells you to go get the third piece of the key, Angel does not, and vice versa. The last big reason behind this theory is because Angel doesn't even pitch a fit when Tannis alopes with the key and gives it to Steele. Infact I don't recall her saying anything at all. Either these two are in cahoots or Angel can somehow see the future and that was all part of "the plan".

A fourth minor theory is that Angel is some kind of godlike being trapped in the same dimension as The Destroyer, and thus she is somewhat omniscient and maneuvers you to kill The Destroyer, presumably to ease her own existance and/or allow her access to the "Vault" portal in the next opening.

Honestly though, the game is pretty weak on story.

PS: I loved the game up until I killed Flint. Then I completely lost the whole feeling of freedom, exploring, questing, and general RPG goodness. After that it just felt like playing Crysis: tearing through linear, walled in levels as fast as I could, fighting weird glowing blue alien things. But at least the final boss of Crysis was badass! Borderlands end boss was not only completely uninspired, he was dead easy to defeat. Big dissapointment. Oh well, replaying the first 3/4 of the game is still fun. :)

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
I was a bit confused with Atlas suddenly appearing after you get the first piece of the artifact. Isn't the planet owned by Dahl?

Dahl doesn't own the planet, they've just dumped the most resources into it. They owned most of the mines, they paid for the communication network, they paid Tannis to do her silly research.

Atlas comes in and kind of hijacks the whole mess with their Crimson Lance nutjobs though, presumably they're expecting to find an even bigger/better cache of alien technology than they did on Prometheus: an event that turned them from a small company into an industry leader.

Hyperion doesn't appear to have much of a role in this except as a passive observer (they made the satellite and the New-U stations).

The only other manufacturer with any known connections to Pandora is Torgue, who are found supplying munitions to the Bandits in one of Marcus' quests.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The giant fadge had tentacle arms with purple ovaries that you were supposed to shoot. If you did every side quest, chances are you had no reason to bother shooting them.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I think I was 36 or 37 as well when we did it. I just stood right in front of it and shot it in the vulva until it died. A bit disappointing.

I didn't strictly mind the ending. I honestly kinda liked the "there is no vault" premise, considering how much effort the game spends on emphasizing that it's this old legend that everyone's after. It makes me contemplate the various possibilities, which is more than most games do these days.

Bring on the DLC and sequels. I want moar things to shoot and things to shoot them with.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I'd say it's fairly obvious that Angel was a representative of Hyperion that either a). wanted you to get into the vault so Hyperion could swoop down and claim its riches, or b). Knew that somebody was bound to open it and a huge vagina monster was inside so somebody had to be around to kill the monster before it could enter Pandora (hence all the previous stuff about testing your abilities).

I'm leaning toward b. It does make some sense, and a game that doesn't sit you down and explain EVERYTHING at the end isn't entirely unwelcome.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'd say it's fairly obvious that Angel was a representative of Hyperion that either a). wanted you to get into the vault so Hyperion could swoop down and claim its riches, or b). Knew that somebody was bound to open it and a huge vagina monster was inside so somebody had to be around to kill the monster before it could enter Pandora (hence all the previous stuff about testing your abilities).

I'm leaning toward b. It does make some sense, and a game that doesn't sit you down and explain EVERYTHING at the end isn't entirely unwelcome.

I think B as well and I agree with your assessment.

Also, put me in with the bunch saying there should have at least been some worthwhile loot after killing it.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Color me disappointed too. I was playing with my friend doing quests, we were running through the game, and then this giant vagoo shows up and POW! It's over?! um....maybe I missed something somewhere. Was that the vault? Where is my cool alien tech? By the way we got **** it all loot too.

They just didn't want to model any more stuff for the game. They got tired of it so they just threw up a big vagina monster and called it quits. Talk about half-assing it. Whoever wrote that story should be fed to the giant vagoo monster.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I just beat it and yeah... talk about getting the shaft. I loved the game, a lot but at the end it was a joke.
There should have been a ton of cool guns that level **** in one shot! **** you vagina monster!

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
All that hype about epic loots leading to a Cthulhu wannabe and crappy loot. Boo. Hmm, maybe I should go see about that Claptrap assassin and see if he drops anything.

I can't really think of a decent game ending from the recent releases we had. Except maybe CoD4.

Braid's was awesome. Mass Effect's was pretty good. Sadly, I haven't played through many story-based games enough to give many examples of game endings :(

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
There is no cake. The riches were a myth to lure you into pushing back the thingo.

How weird. You get better riches from rummaging through trash on Pandora than you do being the big hero and killing the vagoo monster.

I'd rather the story have been super predictable and actually fun with a huge alien dungeon at the end, than have this 'twist' and a giant load of spunk shot in my eye.

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Way too defensive here.

Braid had a horrible, arrogant ending.

Poppycocks to that I say. Poppycock! Also, I believe a better pejorative term to describe Braid's story would be "pretentious." Use that one, because Braid certainly borders on the pretentious.

The only thing "wrong" with Braid's narrative is that it centers on really highbrow material (atomic bombs and quantum mechanics oh my!), which could easily be regarded as pretentious, arrogant material. I'll leave that one up in the air, because I really can't say talking about time at a quantum state in a video game is not pretentious :(

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about the epilogue and not the final level. If you're talking about the final level I declare you an empty shell of man with neither heart nor soul!

Bleh, I don't want to get in this argument (especially when the person I'm arguing with is notorious for never conceding to any point ever), this is Borderland's forum not Braid's.

You know, the worst part about Borderland's ending for me was the lack of awesome loot. I have barely any concern for the story, and I think that goes for the majority of people playing Borderlands (admittedly Patricia Tannis's journal's were hilarious). Seriously, I didn't even see an orange drop (probably snagged by the other players :mad:); there should have been a lot more of the good **** after going through all that trouble bringing that monster down (he's surprisingly annoying with three players at level 36 for some reason).

Even if the story was tertiary, however, this game has an incredible introduction and it's a shame the ending didn't hold a candle to the start. But hell, it's hard to beat "Ain't No Rest For the Wicked" :)

Also, as far as game endings, Portal came out around the same time as Modern Warfare; I'd say that ending was pretty good....

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I think Gearbox should borrow the guy at People Can Fly that made all of the Painkiller bosses.

I didn't mind the final guy so much.. he's kind of an old-school stationary-big-as-a-mountain kind of boss. But in 9/10 of the feature fights there are obvious places you can hide and just take potshots from relative safety. Rakk Hive, for instance, was a joke.