A Map for Jailbreak?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MortalPlague

Mighty Pirate
Oct 27, 2002
Canada
I've got a CTF map I've been working on and after trying out Jailbreak 2k4, I realized it'd make a very good Jailbreak map. I just need to know how to actually go about changing it up for the gametype...

Here's a screenshot from IronLegend:

Attachments

• IronLegend09.jpg
    IronLegend09.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 101

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Basically you'll need a release switch (JBGameObjective) a jail zone or 2 (JBInfoJail), an arena (JBInfoArena) and an overhead map (JBPanorama)

Checkout Unreal Wiki here

It's actually very simple. Just make sure you get your tags and events for the jails and releases the right way round! :)

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Horray for MortalPlague mapping for Jailbreak2004! :)

Ya, it is incredibly simple, if you get everything the right way round. Heck, even I managed to get it right. :p

Pic looks interesting. :D Anymore info for us about the map?

MortalPlague

Mighty Pirate
Oct 27, 2002
Canada
Well, there's a beta of the CTF version somewhere on Unreal Playground, but that was before Blitz very helpfully redid the lighting (I was stuck on it). I still have a couple changes to make, but modifying it for JB shouldn't be too hard... thanks for the Wiki link. :D

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Looks good!
Wood and metal theme -- not seen that since some classic UT maps. Tweak the texture on those steps on the left, maybe though :)

You will find everything you need to make a JB map on the JDN -- link on our home page :)

MortalPlague

Mighty Pirate
Oct 27, 2002
Canada
tarquin said:
Looks good!
Wood and metal theme -- not seen that since some classic UT maps.

Thanks! I was going for the oldschool UT look on this one, which also explains the simplicity of some of the architecture. I just hope that simplicity doesn't mean bland, necessarily. :D

RabidZombie

Freshly Removed Brains at half price!
Apr 29, 2004
escape route

Really looks good, i hope i find an escape route in there ;) ;) :D :biggrin2:

and yeah i agree change the texture of the stairs on the left... it kinda clashes!

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... humm... could it be that there's a JB-specific Community Bonus Mappack in near future? :p ...

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I expect the Jailbreak team will release a map pack -- if that's what you mean.
It won't be called "Community Bonus Pack", since another group of modders use that name.

RabidZombie

Apr 29, 2004
how about 'escaped convicts map pack' lol a rubbish name i know... im rubbish with names :p

RabidZombie

Apr 29, 2004
those are good names i was trying to think of something like that but my mind went blank :D :instagib:

Half_Lunatic

Other Half Not There
Jun 24, 2002
Bmore
Visit site
I'll try this CTF version out just to get a feel for it and any tips of my own. Definently has the oldschool UT look from the pic.

If there is a JB Mappack coming anytime soon I want in. I'm making good progress on my map JB-Declinism. Might have some pics in a week or 2.

Half_Lunatic

Other Half Not There
Jun 24, 2002
Bmore
Visit site
My first problem is lighting, but you said that is all sorted out :) .

Since you want the UT style I understand that you don't want a ton of meshes, but this map still needs a lot of detail. It seems very boxy and bland. Adding some more trim to spots like in some corners can make a huge difference.

Since the layout looks pretty much complete this probably won't matter. You could use the 2d editor and get some curved halls in there with an odd shape. Straight boxes are... boring. I like the layout and nice to see the top is blocked well. I hammered up to see how high I can hide as if it were JB. Got pretty high up but I could still be shot down.

Not sure if you want this to happen, but it is possible to jump from one minigun to the opposite in that center area. Doubt if this matters because most players can't do the maneveur correctly.

Hope this hits JB within a few weeks. I'm tired of playing only 5 of the 10 current maps :( .

MortalPlague

Mighty Pirate
Oct 27, 2002
Canada
Thanks Lunatic, I'll take your suggestions to heart... particularly with more detail. I don't see it as a problem that players can get from minigun to minigun either... And it'll probably hit JB later this week. :D

I spent all of today adding the jails and setting them up, but I can't figure out how to get the release switches. The wiki article says to use any subclass of GameObjective?!?!!? Needless to say, that doesn't work, but otherwise, the map is only missing an arena before it can go to beta. :)

Last edited:

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Load JBToolbox into Ued, then look for JBGameObjective if you want to add the standard release switch. You'll only see the placemarker in ued, not the padlock.