[¤_¤]sTAR EYEDZiD PRoPHeTS[¤_¤]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
69696969696969 6969696969696969
(¤0¤)EYES DIDES SAYS...
WOULD BE'S SO COOL:

«×»If you could press a button and instantly see behind you like a translocator camera in the back of your head and it had an fov of 180 that would be crazy mang;

«×»If the hammer still helped us take less fall damage, somehow;

«×»If we could still stand on vehicles and still not have to be engaged to them. It would be cool if we could somehow grab onto air vehicles too;

«×»If projectiles we shoot could collide with us instead of passing right through us;

«×»If projectiles shot from the edge of the hitbox instead of from inside of it; not sure if this would be better or worse, but I have a feeling it will be better, plus this might get rid of the projectiles registering hits on the players that spawned them because they spawn within the hitbox issue;

«×»If headshots were still calculated from neckbone's location midway in the animation the character pawn is going through.

«×»If all projectiles other than shock had a little headshot benefits too, might be too taxing on the cpu though.

«×»If damaged players would show more visual signs of being hit. UT2004 does a good job at communicating to players if their shot hit or not, but it would be even cooler, aesthetically, if players emitted more sparks or bodily fluid from their armor after getting messed up in a fire fight, or if the headshot flame was a little bit more emphasized and would show very consistently. It would be cool if you could tell exactly what happened to a person (dead or alive) when they exit from a firefight just by examining them visually. I really like how the head catches on fire, but I don't like it when it seems to go on and off sporadically, I think it would be better if it stayed for an exact amount of time after the headshot hit. So if you headshotted someone their head would flame for a good 20 seconds. And if you hit someone in the face with a rocket their head will blacken and sparks will shoot from around from their neck for a minute or until they get health. A player under 30 health will leak bodily fluid stains on the floor and fluid smears on the wall he/she walks against until he gets health.

I DIDESMORE'S TO COME WHEN PROPHTE SEE DEM(¤___¤)

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
«×»If projectiles shot from the edge of the hitbox instead of from inside of it; not sure if this would be better or worse, but I have a feeling it will be better, plus this might get rid of the projectiles registering hits on the players that spawned them because they spawn within the hitbox issue;
Not sure if projectiles spawning outside of the hitbox would work. But if they were to spawn outside of the hitbox they'd have to spawn at a specific model height, obviously, because the hitbox is cylindrical. This would cause the pov of the character to have to be around the rim of the hitbox, which wouldn't work because the hitbox would move if the player just rotated and that would be weird.

The only reason why I thought it would be better having projectiles spawning outside of the hitbox, other than having projectiles take less time to travel to an enemy, is so it would be easier making projectiles collide with the players that spawned them. Maybe, they could have the projectile path start inside of the hitbox like it is now, but then have it activate once it exits the hitbox. The only problem with doing this is it might take more cpu, plus lag and packetloss might cause players to collide with their own rockets.

I really think it's a big deal that projectiles don't collide with the players that spawned them. It's just silly. I think accidently sticking grenades on yourself would be hilarious. :lol: Plus, I know a lot of people would have fun sticking grenades on themselves and exploring the possibilities. ;) I haven't tested to see if bio or assault grenades collide with the player they spawned from, so I'm not sure they made all projectiles not react with the player that spawned the projectile.

¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤_¤

Shieldgun Love:
I enjoy popping people up in the air with the shieldgun. Often times, I don't charge my shieldgun when I hit people with it, so I can juggle them against a wall and pop them in the air multiple times without killing them. The shieldgun in ut2kx is ownage. Even the shield feature. The shield feature is great for players that like to play aggressively. You can charge people with your shield up and if they don't yield and back off you might be able to get a hit on them, and if they yield and back off, you effectively can gain control of territory. You can get up close to someone firing rockets and have them explode in his face. The shield is awesome for team boosting as well. You could shield teammates across the map and just a bunch of other awesome things. SG in ut2kx was almost more of a utility than a weapon. If you knew how to use the shield effectively, you would be a hard player to deal with.

I hope they make the hammer in ut2k7 have a lot of different uses. Before ut2kx you could deflect projectiles with the hammer alt fire. Maybe there could be some similar projectile interaction with the next hammer.

If they were to make vehicles slippery and have more realistic friction so players might slide off a fastly accelerating manta, then maybe they could make the alt hammer a sort of extremely close ranged grappling hook. Not an actual grappling hook, but something that worked similar to it. So you could grab onto vehicles, but not be able to fire another weapon at the same time. It would also be fun to man handle people with it and swing them around or something. Maybe even if two teammates grab eachother they can fling one of them up high to a roof. What would be even cooler is if we could feint and somehow grab onto a redeemer so your ragdoll body would fly around behind it like those huge advertisments that flutter behind a prop plane... :D

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Maybe if you spread your 10 billion ideas across 10 billion threads then maybe you would ACTUALLY get some replies. :D

Basically you put too many different things into one thread thats y no1s replyin.......or mabe it cud b summin else.

Last edited:

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
Well, I think we already have too many hollow threads. The first post is rich with different ideas and has a lot of potential for discussion and I formatted it so people would have a hard time replying in the conventional manner, mainly because I didn't think people would reply seriously to most of the ideas I posted, anyways. Too often do other threads just turn into people reaching at nothing and trying to convince others why they are right or throwing mere opinions around, instead of trying to brainstorm together. Certain ideas and topics may reach a closure, but others may continue or evolve into other ideas of discussion. Discuss. Please.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I'll start off :D

CloudConnected said:
WOULD BE'S SO COOL:

«×»If you could press a button and instantly see behind you like a translocator camera in the back of your head and it had an fov of 180 that would be crazy mang;
Hmm maybe, I don't know if people would think that is lame or not, but it would definately improve players' awareness. I say :tup:

CloudConnected said:
«×»If the hammer still helped us take less fall damage, somehow;
:tup: And btw, I haven't played UT99 for the longest time so can you explain me how the hammer was then? I only know how the shield gun is.

CloudConnected said:
«×»If we could still stand on vehicles and still not have to be engaged to them. It would be cool if we could somehow grab onto air vehicles too;
They said they're thinking of putting this thing called the "Hoverboard", basically every player has it and spawns with it, and it's like your mini manta that gets to where you want to go fast (but you can't shoot while your using it), and also, you can attach it to vehicles they said.....I dunno about air vehicles tho.:tup:

But if you meant like grabbing on to vehicles using your hands then no.

CloudConnected said:
«×»If projectiles we shoot could collide with us instead of passing right through us;
Don't they already? like shoot a rocket and then translocate in front of it and it should hit you shouldn't it? And if it doesn't then that better be fixed.

CloudConnected said:
Didn't quite understand...

CloudConnected said:
«×»If headshots were still calculated from neckbone's location midway in the animation the character pawn is going through.
Doesn't it already do that? What does it do now?

CloudConnected said:
«×»If all projectiles other than shock had a little headshot benefits too, might be too taxing on the cpu though.
A little headshot benefits for shock AND other projectiles would be cool, and that "taxing on the cpu" is wrong, it takes almost no cpu power for some headshot benefits.

CloudConnected said:
«×»If damaged players would show more visual signs of being hit. UT2004 does a good job at communicating to players if their shot hit or not, but it would be even cooler, aesthetically, if players emitted more sparks or bodily fluid from their armor after getting messed up in a fire fight, or if the headshot flame was a little bit more emphasized and would show very consistently. It would be cool if you could tell exactly what happened to a person (dead or alive) when they exit from a firefight just by examining them visually. I really like how the head catches on fire, but I don't like it when it seems to go on and off sporadically, I think it would be better if it stayed for an exact amount of time after the headshot hit. So if you headshotted someone their head would flame for a good 20 seconds. And if you hit someone in the face with a rocket their head will blacken and sparks will shoot from around from their neck for a minute or until they get health. A player under 30 health will leak bodily fluid stains on the floor and fluid smears on the wall he/she walks against until he gets health.
:tup::tup: That would be real cool, because then if I see someone hurt really bad, I would drop loaded goo or three rockets on to the nearest health pack when the get there!:lol:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
A cam to watch your back would be bad because it would only help these pro types who use rediculously low sens. If you want to do that, buy a mousepad that is big enough to do 180s, and then you won't make the game even more one sided to hardware/settings preference.

Projectiles don't collide with us because they spawn within us, both would have to be changed simultaneously, and lag, and dodging forward while shooting could cause some unwanted suicides.

We can stand on vehicles as is, and can't "grip" them probably for a reason. I'm also sure that standing on a raptor/ciceda does crush damage and bounces you off intently so you can't "ride" them. If you walk or crouch, you don't "slide" off as easily, much in the same way that prevents you from walking off edges.

We sill still have the wall kick to reduce fall damage.

I personally think the games hit and damaged cues are more than enough. There are times I can't even tell what model it is under the flames.

Headshots: Calculated from the neck up would make some sense. I like the skeletal hit location idea, but there are a couple things about it that are salty, like how you can shoot a bald headed model at the top of their head, and not get a headshot... How does lightning graze something exactly? Other weapons act as they should IMO, like how torso direct shots with spalsh weapons do more damage because there is more hit-box exposure. Things like flak shards, or link bolts doing Headshot mutiplied damage would probably be bad. They do quite enough damage as is, although, it would be much less impactful, and more skillful if projectiles had said multiplied damage as opposed to hitscan. They could also tweak the default damages accoredingly... Hard to say, becuase if the scale changes as they've said, stuff like that will be much easier to do.

The details of the SG>IH have been discusses in quite a few threads before.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Bullet10k said:
That has already been fixed in a patch...

I think the patch only toned it down, because I use the wallkick quite often to reduce momentum/fall damage when dropping down from high places.

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
-AEnubis- said:
A cam to watch your back would be bad because it would only help these pro types who use rediculously low sens. If you want to do that, buy a mousepad that is big enough to do 180s, and then you won't make the game even more one sided to hardware/settings preference.
Low sense is to compensate for the crappy hardware situation. If you can't move your xhair around very precisely, then you need to lower it or get new hardware that is made for FPS gaming. Besides, they are dropping the hitscan weapons and putting in more tracking and prediction weapons in the game, so I don't see anything bad with being able to see behind you and not actually turning around. Also, please refrain from bringing up the silly anti-pro attitude. If by 'pro' you mean pub scrubs that use a borked .ini with fov and mouse sens binds not legal in real matches or post in prounreal, then please use a different term.

I guess this feature probably belongs in another game, but the reason I love ut2k4 is because it provides a truly unique fps experience. One trend I notice in this forum is everyone arguing for a more simple and more standard fps experience. If I wanted a simple fps experience, I'd play Quake. The ut series is seen by many as the frontier of fps gaming. Lots of weirded out concepts and lots of different ways to be a freak.

Projectiles don't collide with us because they spawn within us, both would have to be changed simultaneously, and lag, and dodging forward while shooting could cause some unwanted suicides.
Yes. That is why I wanted to have projectiles spawn outside of the hitbox, but then I realized that it wouldn't work.

We can stand on vehicles as is, and can't "grip" them probably for a reason. I'm also sure that standing on a raptor/ciceda does crush damage and bounces you off intently so you can't "ride" them. If you walk or crouch, you don't "slide" off as easily, much in the same way that prevents you from walking off edges.
It would be annoying having people shooting avrils from ontop of a cicada or shooting other people's locked on avrils before they could reach the cicada. Having a utility-type extremely close ranged weapon would stop people from doing anything more than just grabbing onto the vehicle. The reason why I brought up the sliding off the vehicle and more realistic friction thing was because it was discussed in previous threads. I know how it works in ut2k4. If there are going to be more ways we can interact with levels then I think this might be a good firemode for interacting with levels.

We sill still have the wall kick to reduce fall damage.
There shoud be something else we can do to reduce fall damage.

I personally think the games hit and damaged cues are more than enough. There are times I can't even tell what model it is under the flames.
I was just thinking it would be cooler if the cues were more specific and less sporadic. I have never seen flames thick or large enough to mask what model was under it.

Headshots: Calculated from the neck up would make some sense. I like the skeletal hit location idea, but there are a couple things about it that are salty, like how you can shoot a bald headed model at the top of their head, and not get a headshot...
I like how the skeletal hit works right now. The neck up would be different on different models. The thing I like about the ut2k4 headshot is it's easy to see where you should shoot each character, unless you force gorge(which you shouldn't do anyways). I also like how they put the headshot effective neckbone where the neck bone is midway through the animation to save cpu calculations. One thing I think should be changed is how the game calculate headshots from the headshot effective neckbone. If the headshot calculation simulates a cone like headshot area, I think it should be larger and more cylinder shaped. I'm not sure if it's shaped like a cone because I haven't looked at the code. But something has to be done about how the game calculates the headshot from the heashot effective neckbone.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Well, I woudn't imagine input hardware to be something nearly expensive enough to create gaps like that. If it's output hardware, like limited frames from video, forcing you to drop your sense, then I don't know what to tell you. This game is gonna be pretty hardware intensive. I sympathize with people having issues they need to tackle with inferior hardware, the problem, though, lies in other players who will exploit things like that even if their hardware is superior.

There wasn't anything "extra" to prevent fall damage in UT, and no on complained. That is pretty much what I use as a basis for comparison on said issues concerning the "moving back towards the feel of UT." The SG is nice, don't get me wrong, that idea was cool, but it's not necessary IMO.

You should fight an opponent who can take 2 or 3 direct rockets and live. Ether someone with way to much armor in TDM, or someone fresh off a booster, or something. They gotta be pretty fast and direct rockets, but they create a lot of flames.

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
Well, I woudn't imagine input hardware to be something nearly expensive enough to create gaps like that. If it's output hardware, like limited frames from video, forcing you to drop your sense, then I don't know what to tell you. This game is gonna be pretty hardware intensive. I sympathize with people having issues they need to tackle with inferior hardware, the problem, though, lies in other players who will exploit things like that even if their hardware is superior.
The only reason why someone would be bitter about other people using low sensitivity is because of low sensitivity users or binders exhibiting excessively efficient and annoying long distance hitscan. I don't like long distance hitscan and I prefer upclose hitscan action to it, even when it costs me a frag.

Long distance hitscan isn't one of the fun things about ut. I thought they were ditching long distance stuff in the next ut. The only reason why people have fun shooting people all the way from across the map is just because they are getting a frag. There is very little fun factor in getting a frag from all the way across a map, except the frag itself and anyone who likes sniping from across a map should play some boring fps that would better suit it. I still find hitscan from across the map to be exciting in 1v1, because the players can't camp the map and hitscan isn't terribly effective when both players know how to play(use shield).

Anyone with a mouse sens not low enough for them to be able to move around the xhair in very small and precise increments is cheating pixels. The reason why I don't think badly of low sense users is because using low sense increases preciseness short range just as it does long range. People not playing with settings that let them be as precise as possible are playing handicapped. Preciseness should be rewarded. That is also why I suck at using rockets nowadays, because I never try using splash, but just try hitting them in the face instead (I stopped playing for a meaningless score) I still like using shock combos because they requires a certain level of preciseness to nail them. Even though ut2k4's shock combos are easier to do, ut2k4's combos make up for it by letting players do less mechanical combos and be able use the combo in a more loose fashion. I think having the old-style shock would be a better for a more packed-in feel, though.

edit:
There wasn't anything "extra" to prevent fall damage in UT, and no on complained. That is pretty much what I use as a basis for comparison on said issues concerning the "moving back towards the feel of UT." The SG is nice, don't get me wrong, that idea was cool, but it's not necessary IMO.
It's not necessary, but personally, I just don't like not being able to do anything to significantly dampen my fall. Fall damage is necessary for the game to not feel silly. Being able to help lessen the fall damage by utilizing a technique makes it so there is still fall damage, realistic enough for the game not to feel silly, but at the same time it doesn't affect gameplay in an extreme way because players can do something to lessen the damage.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I'm not really bitter, though I would imagine many of my posts sound as such. I know how to shield against it, but don't always like having to whore the SG just so I don't get startbutton'd in a small matter of seconds.

The other problem is how exceedingly efficient hit-scan becomes when pings drop below what they were balanced at. I agree though, the only fun had in that kind of fragging is by simply getting frags. I'm fine if people want to use low sens and go that route, I just think they should have to pay in some way for it. So anything I see that they can exploit to facilitate their situation...

Oh, and until we know what the new sniper rifle holds for us, there is a lot of elements in this equation up in the air. I for the most part trust Epic to do what they say they are, and make it more "up close and personal", but much still remains to be seen.