6 simple machines.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ATeamDan

Music Man
Aug 1, 2000
home.hot.rr.com
Ok heres the deal, i need to do a physics project, where i take all six simple machines and use them to create an object that does something. I know i could come up with something good, but i figured this is a good place to get imput. Remeber it needs to serve a practical purpose, needs all 6 simple machines, and it needs to not suck.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

thanks guys.
ateamer

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Alright, that's impossible. You absolutely can't make anything, that serves a practical purpose, without at least an inline/flat 4-cylinder engine, more preferably a V6 or V8, or a flat-4 turbocharged..

Are you allowed to use a microcontroller, or a DSP?

On the other hand, perhaps a grenade catapult?

Well, if I can be of any help, you're in bigger trouble than you thought..

Snakeye :D

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
All complex machines (including the internal combustion engine) can be broken down into a sum of simple machines. The only exception to this would be any electronics. I guess you could say that complex <em>mechanical</em> machines can be broken down into a sum of the six simple machines.

Is there a limit to how many simple machines must be used?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by ElectricSheep
All complex machines (including the internal combustion engine) can be broken down into a sum of simple machines. The only exception to this would be any electronics. I guess you could say that complex <em>mechanical</em> machines can be broken down into a sum of the six simple machines.

Is there a limit to how many simple machines must be used?
computers (and anything 'digital') can be reduced to a few 'simple' 'machines' too. In theory all you need is an AND- , OR and a NOT-gate.
You only need 1 'machine' (a switch) ...
// --
up to 6 simple machines ?
Would a pair of scales work ? Or is that too simple ?

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
For computers all you need is either a NOR or a NAND gate, since with any of the two(of course a few of them), you can make any other gate(i.e. AND, OR, NOT, XNOR, XOR etc..).

Looks like there're some other engineers around..

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by Snakeye
For computers all you need is either a NOR or a NAND gate, since with any of the two(of course a few of them), you can make any other gate(i.e. AND, OR, NOT, XNOR, XOR etc..).

Looks like there're some other engineers around..

You do know that
NAND = AND + NOT or to use tech-speak : NAND =>X = !(A . B)
and NOR = OR + NOT => X = !(A + B)
You can even get rid of either 'AND'-ports or 'OR'-ports completely if you want using Moore's laws ... (A + B) = !!(A + B) = !(!A . !B)

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
damn, you're probably right too ... altough worrying about a few transistors more or less seems kind of trivial when they can use millions in a single ic ;)

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
AND NOT gate AND NOT gate AND NOT gate AND NOT gate...

There has to be a use for all these...

Ah, yes:

You've been choosen for the hit. AND do NOT miss gate(s)

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Well, right and wrong, in a way.

If you save transistors, you can add more gates to the same chip, and therefor it might get more calculating power. Also every transistor contributes to the power the chip needs. And if you can save 1% of the transistors in a chip containing a few million, that's not too bad.
Though IIRC the biggest "reserve" in chip speed lies in reducing the "wire lengths" (well, they are not wires of course, just don't find any other English word). About 50% increase in speed would be possible just with such measures.