5 fps menu

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nut

Now with dreadlocks!
why oh why does the frame rate of the menu drop to 5 fps? maybe if it was a transparent menu and a huge war was going on behind it this could be excused. but its the friggin menu. im bound to hear its cuz UT is holding all the info on the current map and stuff and that causes the slowdown, but for one thing its not displaying any rendered objects. secondly, nothing is going on in the map while im at the menu: no great velocity computations are going on, no bots are moving around. so why is my frame rate worse when im looking at the main menu than when im in the middle of a fire fight? WTF????

JamesT

sniper apprentice
Jun 25, 2001
Taiwan
inf.dearhoney.idv.tw
Please give more specific details such as video card, driver version, etc, so that someone might be able to help.

[edit] By the way, what "menu" are you refering to?
[edit2] This should be in the "Troubleshooting" section, not here!

nut

Now with dreadlocks!
the reason i posted in here was cuz i was suggesting it be fixed, but it might just be my system.

Mac G3 350 136 mb Ram, voodoo 3 card. yeah i know im supposed to have more ram. sue me.

oh and im refering to the main menu. the one where you setup loadouts and set game stuff up. not the speech menu. when i first start up INF i get my usual 30 fps for the menu. but if theres a map in the background its 5 fps. i only play offline.

Vampeero

Also known as Piezo
Jul 16, 2000
I had the same problem with my Voodoo3, although 5fps is a wee bit of an exageration, I think. My best guess as to what the problem is would have to do with rendering techniques. Most graphics accelerators render and skin everything, whether or not their is something blocking your line of sight. This is why very intricate levels are slower even when you are looking at a wall (eg. grozny).

nut

Now with dreadlocks!
no exageration

i wouldn't have said anything but i did a stat fps and got about 4.7 fps on average. it doesn't really bother me since the fastest level i got for inf is Peru and i only get 30 fps. good compared to exteme prejeduce (15-20 fps). i dont have enough ram to install map pack 3, which sux 4 me. my machine is really old though, so i cant bitch like its a software prob. anyone reading this ever play deus ex? the whole game 4 me was between 8 and 20 fps...i wish i weren't jobless...

Vampeero

Also known as Piezo
Jul 16, 2000
And to make matters more depressing, the voodoo3 has the potential to rock INF with glide. Maybe you could sweet talk someone, or do the dishes, or clean the house, and then ask for a new rig, but with the voodoo....