3DS Max: Terrain Heightmap help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StardogChampion

Dec 18, 2003
I've taken a screenshot of the 256x256 heightmap in UnrealEd, then imported it into 3dsmax as a displacement. The problem is that I don't know how to make it the proper height using the "strength" box. Is it even possible to get it right?

Also, lets say my terrain size is 256x256, how many segments should my plane have in 3dsmax?

I'm trying to make a fence that goes down the side of a mountain, so I'm trying to do it this way instead of making 1 fence segment then duplicating it all the way down. If I do it with the displacement in 3dsmax it should look a lot better.

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
I dont get what you are ultimately trying to achieve

You want to show UEDs terrain in max so you could then create a custom meshes that fits the terrain 100 percent exactly or what ?

You can never let the max terrain be the same as the ued terrain with your way
If you just want the terrain as reference you should try exporting the terrain in UED as obj, File > Export
Import in Max
Note itll be mirrored in Max

StardogChampion

Dec 18, 2003
The only problem I was using the Runtime which has no .obj export.

I found that using 250 for displacement strength gets the right height in 3dsmax, although the smoothing isn't exactly the same so you can't align things totally perfect.

Maybe I'll re-install UT2004 sometime :)