12 year olds and the internet

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannoth

Jan 20, 2004
I just can't figure out why everytime a game goes online, you always have, always, the vulgar little kids. Do they wait around then, poof, just appear. Actually if anyone reading this post is a sociology major, this would make a great senior project, or even a PHd thesis. Personally I think they are just kids who are probably kept well mannered by their parents. They use the net, and suddenly no parental supervision. Parents don't 'hear' what they type and they can't always watch what they type. Also their choice of words may be cause of concern? Are they all racist homophobes?

Thoughts?

SylverFyre

Spongebob Squarepants
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.byut.net
the arrogant vocal minority

not sure about 12 year olds but definately teens are probably the majority of the loudmouth troublemakers

Blackavar

Sentient Killing Machine
Jan 30, 2004
York, UK
You're absolutely correct. I vote we shoot the little motherf**kers.

I'm generally too busy trying not to kill myself with the toxin grenades to swear online...

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
Good with the bad I guess. I do agree that these are most likely little white kids in affluent suburbs who abuse other people in the one medium where they are not lorded over by their parents, and never have to deal with the consequences of calling a stranger a "mother****er." I'm sure there is an interesting demographic there, but for right now, the best way to shut them up is to kick them off; getting banned from all the good servers will change their minds on behavior for sure. Perhaps some kind of server "registration," similar to the way people must sign on to these forums, might help in filtering out, at least, the lazier of the miscreants...

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
I'm a fourteen year old. I do actually hate most people my age, for the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I agree, because half the time i am killed is from some punk who has been very vulgar in language the whole game, and when i request to be revived when that punk is on my team he does not revive me... Sheesh U2XMP is a team based game, so it makes sense to go ahead and help a fallen ally...

I think those punks are used to team based games where you cannot revive a fallen ally.

BaRrOw

DA HOOCH!!
Jan 23, 2004
www.dark-democracy.com
One must keep in mind that the common stereotype which is presented within this thread is not always true, even if that is commonly the case. There are many thirteen year olds that are far more eloquent and mature than myself at my current ripe age of nineteen (in fact, I'm fairly certain I was one such person at that age). Likewise, I have run into many individuals who are equally vulgar to the twelve year olds mentioned in this thread who are fourty and older.

That being said, I agree that the internet is often one of the few havens, as it were, in which younger individuals have the freedom to express and vent themselves as they see fit. Often, this is a misdirected outlet for agression, but it is one of the few ones they have available (for example, while an adult can swear to themselves or complain openly to other co-workers at their places of business, children are constantly being watched and listened to at school and at home, their only regularly unmonitored activities being the usage of the internet and games). Thus, it is only natural for a simple announcement of "Artifacts Critical" to cause such individuals to seek out a target to unleash their pent up anger upon (which is often the person that last killed them, or their own teams).

The most important thing to do when such a person is on your team is simply to ignore them, or to respond maturely and hopefully bring them back to their senses.

Last edited:

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I know, and that is why on my server i reserve the right o kick/ban a person for bad language, and team mate killing.

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
if you think it's bad on PC,try playing an FPS on xbox live.godawful little bastards.

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
Violence, profanity, anger and a hug.

Profanity isn't offensive to me. I use it, my friends use it, and often in a light-hearted way. Even a friendly, if not crude, ribbing is something I enjoy (both directed at my friends and towards me). I think it's the tone and the intent. To be fair, I haven't really seen much racially or otherwise inflammatory comments out in the field.
As far as younger people needeing an audience to vent their anger and frustration, I can tell you that, as an adult pushing thirty, I find that my sources of anger ventilation are just as limited now as they were fifteen years ago. I had to learn early on, as every person who is not socially maladjusted does, that my personal problems are not a justification to mistreat others. I would assume that anyone with the intellectual capacity to operate a computer would reserve some of that intelligence to play well with others... guess computers ain't just for geeks anymore.

BaRrOw

DA HOOCH!!
Jan 23, 2004
www.dark-democracy.com
If you want profane and racially offensive comments, go play Warcraft 3 custom maps for a few hours... one of the worst crowds of online gamers I have seen yet. They even put CS kids (i.e. me) to shame most of the time.

travking

Feb 1, 2004
this game does seem to draw a lot of kids who just want to screw around rather then play the game. It's something I'm not really used to but if worse comes to worse you can just change servers.

cookiecups

Commander of baby tapiers
Jun 8, 2001
USA- all the way
Visit site
The swearing doesn't bother me so much, or even the occasional complaining or off color comment. They are easy to ignore. The thing I have very little tolerance for are the morons who sit and spam total crap while I'm playing. It's fine to not take things seriously, but the idgits who've just found the "We need energy!" hotkey and use it often enough that genuine requests for teamwork go unheard or unanswered are the ones that burn my britches. And the cads with no common respect for chicks. I got beef with that. Thankfully, most of the lads and (rare) ladies I've met through XMP are not that type. Perhaps it's because the gameplay style of XMP lends itself to teamwork, people aren't so eager to make a fool of themselves?
See you online!
-cookiecups

Cannoth

Jan 20, 2004
Usually their comments are ignorable, nor do I usually notice them. Too busy playing. But what alarmed me was when I signed onto a server, the game hadn't even started yet, when the players on the server addressed me by screen name and then tried their best with the "off color comments." Which was funny cause it was a 7 v 1 game and I still maganed to grad an register an artifact. After that game, I was curious as to their motivation to do so. I am pretty sure that that level of nasty comments, especially the honophobe/racist ones aren't taught in the home.

Patrikus

Beneath the skin lies only stone....
Jan 20, 2004
New York, Manhattan
wats wrong with 12 and 13 yr olds playing Unreal?? I just turned 13 and I must say that some of us kids are pretty damn good at this game :mad: !!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Patrikus said:
wats wrong with 12 and 13 yr olds playing Unreal?? I just turned 13 and I must say that some of us kids are pretty damn good at this game :mad: !!

Your reading comprehension skills are subpar at best, I see.

There's nothing wrong with it as long as you are a decent human being and not a retard. Your post seems to suggest otherwise. Let me tell you a secret, don't take anything online seriously. Do that and you'll be flying high and living large.

Status
Not open for further replies.