I'm back! Last login September 2013. Here's Himeko Sutori, the thing I've been working on since.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nathaniel3W

Nov 11, 2012
Hey everyone! Long, long ago, when Angel Mapper and Wormbo guided new UnrealScript programmers on this forum, I got started on some stupid little tasks in UDK. And now that the world has moved on, and my engine of choice is now obsolete, I have almost finished my first game.

capsule_main2b.jpg

Have any of you ever played Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber? I'll bet that game is older than a lot of new UE4 developers. For those unfamiliar with the game, you should go try it out. Or better yet, just follow my game, and we'll have something even better ready for you soon.

NewParticlesTest.gif

Basically, the game works like this: You have an army of up to 200 unique, named characters. You organize them into lances of up to ten heroes. (Actual size depends on the leadership score of the lance captain. Your starting lances will be more like three heroes.) And then you order your lances in strategic, turn-based battles on hexagon maps.

There are 20 main character classes, each with different strengths, weaknesses, and synergies to exploit. Got a boss enemy to defeat? Send in your Berserkers who do extra damage and always target the strongest enemy. Got some annoying healers you want to take out quickly? Send in your lance of Rogues, who do less damage, but always attack the weakest target. Hold a choke point with your Knights and Clerics while your Rangers pick off the enemy from afar. You can even get monsters to join your team, and employ guerrilla tactics with your Wolf Skirmishers supported by Fairy Menders, striking the enemy and then retreating to heal.

AttackBridge.jpg

Skeletons.jpg

PoorYoshiro.jpg

After each battle, level-up your characters, picking the skills that best fit your plan for that hero. Then return to town and buy or craft new gear to make them even stronger.

Enchanting.jpg

The current build, now in closed beta, has a few hours of game play. The main campaign that we plan to release with version 1.0 will be an epic story spanning across worlds.

DesertPreview.gif

In addition to gorgeous backgrounds and detailed pixel characters, the game will feature a pseudo-Japanese title in keeping with my dreams of creating a poorly translated JRPG classic. It will also feature an amazing original soundtrack by the up-and-coming composer Kevin Won.

Himeko Sutori will also include a fully featured campaign editor so that you can make your own characters, items, locations, and stories using all of the same assets that we're using. The tutorials are still under construction, but you can see the start over at the Campaign Editor section of the Himeko Sutori website.

Editor.jpg

Our Steam store page isn't quite ready for you to check out, but you can follow @HimekoSutori on Twitter for more news. And I'll be back to post more right here on Beyond Unreal.

Last edited:

Nathaniel3W

Nov 11, 2012
The game, or promoting the game? The game is coming along nicely. Promotion from one guy splitting his time between advertising and development, well, it is what it is.

New trailer, by the way.